Book Printing

Image wrap vs Dust jacket

Is the design of the cover exactly the same for these 2 cover types?  There seems to be no selection of image wrap vs dust jacket in the design phase.

Brent

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
DrBrent
Dec 11, 2008 5:19pm PDT
DrBrent

The cover design is the same, except that image wrap lacks the front and end dust jacket flaps.  The selection is in the order phase, not the design phase.

Posted by
jmaudlin
Dec 11, 2008 5:46pm PDT
jmaudlin

Do you mean- do not need to add pictures or text to inside flaps as will not be visible?  Shouldn’t this come up in the design phase as the covers have user input on the flaps.

Posted by
DrBrent
Dec 11, 2008 6:03pm PDT
DrBrent

The cover templates are ‘universal’ – they can be used for softcover, dust jacket, and image wrap.  This gives you the flexibility to design for all three (well actually, it’s two – the softcover and image wrap will use the same data).  This will allow you to offer the book for sale in all three formats – you can let the customer decide which version they want.

The softcover/image wrap books will not print the flap information – it will be dropped.  If you want to offer all three formats, you won’t want to put any important information or pictures there.

I found the softcover to be a semi-matte print, the image wrap is matte (some posts on the forums say they’re very matte – but I’ve been happy with mine),  and the dust jacket is glossy.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you decide to use/offer an image wrap book, the cover design will be stretched to wrap around the edges of the book – so you’ll need to factor that into your cover design and not put any important pictures or text near the edges, they may be lost in the wrapping.

Hope that helps,

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Dec 11, 2008 7:11pm PDT
rbgool