Book Printing

Locked Dustjacket vs. Image Wrap

Am I correct in assuming that if you order the imagewrap book, you lose the "dustjacket" (that is, you don’t get both, so anything you had on the dustjacket won’t be part of the printed result)?

Posted by
elisalemmer
Jan 4, 2009 7:35am PDT
elisalemmer

Yes, if you order a book with image wrap you will not have the dust jacket any longer.  You will also lose the inside flaps on both the front and back covers.

Posted by
kgraham10
Jan 4, 2009 10:12am PDT
kgraham10

I wish that had been more explicitly stated in the process. Maybe it’s my stupidity but I did not realize the inside flaps would not print with the image wrap cover.

Also, has anyone else noticed that image wrap full bleed photos on the largest book size do not come out so well? My image wrap photo on the cover looks washed out, colors are more dulled, though the detail is still crisp. I’m a bit disappointed, especially considering the cover is the first thing people see.  The inside photos still look pretty good.

Posted by
KStolka
Jan 5, 2009 11:59am PDT
KStolka

I thought they were pretty clear that the cover flaps would not print on image wrap books.  When you click on the image wrap option on the order page it says:

All our bookstore-quality Hardcover, ImageWrap books are professionally printed by placing the cover image directly on the front and back of the hardcover, creating a smooth, sophisticated effect. ImageWrap covers feature a durable matte finish and library binding. There are no cover flaps.

Posted by
kgraham10
Jan 5, 2009 7:38pm PDT
kgraham10

On the image wrap covers I would definitely up the contrast, sharpness, saturation a bit. Mine was also washed out. 

Actually, I would skip it altogether and stick with the dust jacket.

Posted by
jwarning
Jan 12, 2009 3:12pm PDT
jwarning

I agree with the comments on the washed out colours of image wrap….. even the softcopy gloss looked better.

I would also go for dust jacket too, if so I decided to continue with Blurb….. there are other photobook printing available which I will try to check quality out.

Posted by
kepin
Jan 24, 2009 11:10am PDT
kepin

Beware though, that the Image Wrap if done with dark colours will reveal the protective coating on the binding edges.

Not that attractive if you’re giving them to say Bride and Groom as wedding albums.

Posted by
TrufflePig
Jan 29, 2009 1:19pm PDT
TrufflePig

Other places have image wrap hardcovers that look great with a glossy finish.  I did not like the blurb image wrap hardcover, since it’s a matte finish and the cover isn’t that hard.  It doesn’t look as professional as one would expect.  I think they need to look into more options for hardcovers.

Posted by
analyncs
Feb 4, 2009 12:52pm PDT
analyncs

Agreed. The dust jacket books look so professional and the colors seem to leap off the cover. The image wrap hardcover version (I’ve only done one test copy) looked awful by comparison. Very washed out colors. (Binding wasn’t as good on that book either.) There has to be a third party printer Blurb could find to make this look better.

Here is my example:

Dust jacket on left, image wrap on right

Posted by
DBourne
Feb 21, 2009 9:25pm PDT
DBourne

Thats a brilliant example, personally I prefer Wraps since dust jackets are always slipping off or can get ripped or creased which makes the book look tatty, however this is purely my own personal opinion, if Image wraps were cheaper I’d probably use it by default.

I guess it really depends on your cover as shown in a great example in DBournes post.

Posted by
CHACK
Feb 22, 2009 5:09pm PDT
CHACK

WOW! I had my book all set up for dust jacket. Then tonight I switched it to image wrap.

Now having read these posts about how dull the image wrap is compared to the

dust cover  I’m going BACK to the DUST COVER!!  UF DA!!

Lowell

Posted by
lolson39
Feb 26, 2009 10:04pm PDT
lolson39

OMG! Not happy to hear that, because I just ordered book with image wrap. I made few books on Blurb and all with dust jacket which is not my favorite, but if quality is question than I would choose dust jacket rather. Do you think that I can return book if I’m not satisfied with quality of image wrap?

Miha 

Posted by
mbabnik
Feb 27, 2009 7:24am PDT
mbabnik

I too would avoid hard cover image wrap. I have done two. Both were full bleed, but that should not make any difference. Blacks in the images were no better, if not worse than newsprint. Very disappointing, especially since I have worked in prepress, have a degree in photography and specifically targeted the blacks and whites to meet digital offset standards. The second book was better with greatly increased contrast, but not good enough. I measured the black with an x-rite product which, in terms of photoshop, was approximately 15%. As a wedding photographer, I could not give the albums to my clients. I had them reprinted through another company.

Posted by
mchart_1
Feb 14, 2013 1:16pm PDT
mchart_1

Hello mchart_1,

I’m sorry to hear your books were not what you had expected. You don’t seem to have ever contacted us at customer support regarding this issue. That’s unfortunate, as this may have simply been a print defect and we could have ordered a reprint to confirm that. You may contact us via support.blurb.com if you’d like us to look into the problem.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Mar 5, 2013 8:47am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff