Book Printing

Oversharpened images?

Is anyone else having problems with oversharpened images? 

I am part of the B3 program and recently ordered two 7×7 books, imagewrapped with the custom workflow and premium paper and the images are WAY oversharpened.  Images that have any fine detail (especially hair and eyelashes) look very ‘crunchy’.  I have ordered other Blurb book in the past and have generally been pleased with the sharpening.  I did not do any additional output sharpening to the images before submitting them to Blurb.  I am a pro photog and do some of my own printing on a pro Epson printer and also with various labs and am knowledgeable on the sharpening, so I don’t believe that is the problem.

I contacted Blurb and they reprinted the books and the replacements have the same oversharpening problem (in addition to having a red cast now- I thought that the custom workflow is supposed to give good consistency from order to order…).

Has anyone else noticed an oversharpening problem?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
gilbertyu
Jan 6, 2009 4:18pm PDT
gilbertyu

hi!
I have the same problem – my photos are oversharped and they are too red.

Posted by
ashkin
Jan 23, 2009 3:39am PDT
ashkin

I am still waiting on my fist books to arrive which are not B3, I have sharpened all of my images (though not excessively) before importing them into the book. I was not aware that Blurb did any local processing to your images, is this just in B3?

Posted by
buchangrant
Feb 3, 2009 2:46am PDT
buchangrant

I have just received my first book and I am frankly stunned at the quality!!! It is superb and I cannot fault any aspect of the production. The images and text are tack sharp, the exposure and colour balance is superb and there has been no post upload processing done to any of the images. Delivery was quicker than expected and the packaging did the job of protecting it from damage.

My concerns over sharpening were unfounded

Posted by
buchangrant
Feb 4, 2009 8:08am PDT
buchangrant