Book Printing

Just Wanted to Say ...

... that I am OVER THE MOON with my Blurb book!  I am seriously stoked!  So, I just wanted to write up a little something about my hugely positive experience with Blurb seeing as there’s so much negative stuff on here.

I’ve very recently finished a months long work on my first book project here, which is a birthday gift for a friend – kind of like a ‘This Is Your Life’ sort of thing.  It ended up being 200 pages long, so I was a little disappointed that I was over the limit for premium paper, BUT, that honestly doesn’t matter to me because the standard paper is superb and has a nice sheen to it and is quite a reasonable good thickness and I certainly don’t have any of those ‘see-through’ problems that I’ve seen some people mention on the forums about being able to see the back on the reverse of it through the other or whatnot.

Printing quality is fantastic – was printed in Rochester, NY.  And the binding is superb!  They’ve really done a fantastic job!  The only aspects, like picture darkness in one or two of the 200 pictures, were my fault as I didn’t edit those particular pictures and left them as is.  Or I really pushed the limits of text boundaries – so it was a pretty tight fit once bound.  But, honestly, it’s all fine – because the text which is reasonably close to the bind is absolutely legible regardless – my bad on that one. 

Shipping, brilliant.  Book was uploaded and ordered on Tuesday 3rd Feb, printed by the 6th of feb and shipped by the 6th of feb and began its journey to Australia on that very day, turning up on my doorstep today (10th of Feb)!  And it was packaged so well – no damage done to the packaging or the book whatsoever.

Ahhh, I just can’t get over how great it is!  I am so excited about it!
:)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kristie87
Feb 9, 2009 10:40pm PDT
kristie87

Probably should also add – I used the photoshop method, where I designed my own layouts in photoshop, worked in RGB mode, saved them as 300dpi JPEG’s and then imported them into Booksmart into a full-bleed layout. 

I also input all of my text in Photoshop – and I used a huge amount of text at around 8pt.  It turned out as sharp as anything, so I was pretty impressed.

Posted by
kristie87
Feb 9, 2009 11:17pm PDT
kristie87

Good to read your report and process kristie.

RGB presumably means sRGB?

Interesting that 8pt text imported as JPEG from PS was "sharp as anything".

Well done,

P

Posted by
peteshep
Feb 10, 2009 12:01am PDT
peteshep

Thanks!

Yes, I meant sRGB.

I should see if I can get a picture of a text page on the camera and upload it.  Generally, when I looked at it just as I would normally look at it, it was super sharp – none of that noticible JPEG artifact that I’ve seen people talking about on here.  Although, if I looked at it through a loupe or something, there could be some noticeable differences I guess.  But, overall, when looking with the naked eye, it’s surprisingly crisp.  I was relatively stunned considering it was 8pt as well and especially after seeing what other people had said on here about it.

There was basically no noticeable difference between the text I’d entered in Photoshop and the text I’d entered in Booksmart as well.

Posted by
kristie87
Feb 10, 2009 3:38am PDT
kristie87

Hi, glad your chuffed with your book too- so am I. I did just a small 60 page 7×7 softback photo book of a recent holiday, a valentines gift for my boyfriend and it has come out brilliantly!

The printers was in the Netherlands and I am so pleased with the quality of the book as well as the actual photos. I just imported all mine straight from my Flickr account and was aware that some of my images would be dark (because that’s how they were originally, duh).

It was such a nice feeling to open the book in perfect condition, looking great. It made me feel really proud. I love Blurb and Booksmart – it is such a great idea for original gifts. I shall certainly be doing more photo books as I just loved the results of my first order. Thank you Blurb!!!

Posted by
bemused26
Feb 11, 2009 6:28am PDT
bemused26

That’s fantastic!  It’s really good to read about other people who are having such good experiences too!

I know the feeling of opening your book to see it all right in front of you so perfect looking – I definitely felt very proud too knowing I’d accomplished something like that and that it had turned out so brilliantly!  And you’re right – it’s such a great idea for gifts.

Thanks so much to Blurb for playing a crucial role in making my friends birthday that little more special!  Couldn’t have done it all without your magnificent company that I will, without a doubt, use a great deal in future.

:)

Posted by
kristie87
Feb 13, 2009 8:53pm PDT
kristie87