Book Printing

Book Sizes - The Need for an intermediate size format?

Am I the only one who thinks that the current book sizes and difference in prices for print publishing the formats is too far apart, in particular from the largest hardback size to the next size down?

At the moment a 0-40 page hardback in 10X8 format costs £15.95 – the next size up is 13X11 where a 0-40 page book will set you back £27.95

I’m not an expert in print techniques but the hike in price for the format size seems quite large. I’d love to see an intermediate size like 11X9 softback and hardback option for printing.

Anyone  else agree?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CHACK
Feb 11, 2009 10:04am PDT
CHACK

Agreed – something around the "B/W Text" size but in full colour, or a straighforward A5 landscape.

Alister

Posted by
alister42
Nov 14, 2009 8:29am PDT
alister42

Totally agree. 7×7 is simply too small for fine art. 12×12 is a great size, but too costly for most friends. A 10×10 book with a price point of around of say $39.95 for a 40 page dust jacket hard cover would be very attractive. One could tack on a $10 profit and still be under $50, which seems to be a psychological ceiling for a lot of people. 10×10 seems like it would be a great compromise between size and affordability.

One reason the square format is great for fine art is that it allows you to use both portrait and landscape photographs in a creative layout.

In any event, Blurb absolutely needs to introduce at least a couple of in-between sizes and prices.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 14, 2009 4:16pm PDT
novalightmik

I agree! I recently created a square kids’ book. My only choice was 7" X 7" or 12" X 12" . I definitely would have liked something in between. Even 8" or 9" would have been better.

Posted by
bebrad
Nov 26, 2012 9:39am PDT
bebrad

I agree. I also published a 7X 7 Children’s book using my original oil paintings and that format is a bit small for art work. How can you ask for more than $30 for such a small gemlike book.
Also if they could print your name and title on the actual book not just the dust jacket that would be worth a few dollars to me? Do you agree?

Posted by
aspingarn
Jan 1, 2013 4:32am PDT
aspingarn

They really have to print on the spine of the actual book not just the dust jacket or bookstore’s won’t carry it for sale in Boston.

Posted by
aspingarn
Jan 6, 2013 3:29am PDT
aspingarn

Totalmente de acuerdo. Un libro cuadrado intermedio entre los dos que ya existen, seria una opcion estupenda!!!!. Un 10×10, seria perfecto.
Saludos.

Posted by
adegarci
Jan 25, 2013 2:24am PDT
adegarci

Definitely agree, I would have gone for this if it was an option.

Posted by
ardina
Feb 23, 2013 12:00pm PDT
ardina

Yo tambien estoy totalmente de acuerdo, la necesidad de un libro cuadrado, entre los dos tamaños existentes, es algo que vengo echando en falta desde hace tiempo
Saludos

Posted by
adegarci
Mar 4, 2013 10:34am PDT
adegarci

Sure, change is always for better. I would like to add on that the book size fot he intermediate size format is something that is going to result in the print, prices, sales and book size.

Posted by
WilsonJohn
Sep 10, 2013 6:06am PDT
WilsonJohn

I agree, for my work, I really would love a 10×10 option. The 8×10/10×8 just isn’t enough for certain layouts. Seems like a reasonable request too. I hope we get this option soon.

Posted by
myraellen55
Jan 21, 2014 8:30am PDT
myraellen55