Book Printing

Locked Add'l Binding options for Cookbook formats

I just love my first new cookbook.  However nice it looks though, it’s not very easy to actually use in the kitchen.  It would be great if Blurb could provide some binding options – - maybe ring bound – - that allows a cookbook to be opened flat.  I know there are options out there … can we provide them within the binding options of Blurb???? 

Posted by
cristacolema
Feb 13, 2009 2:03pm PDT
cristacolema

I agree.  I’m planning on doing a cookbook featuring my Mom’s recipes.  I would love to use Blurb … my previous books have been great … but I want to have a coil binding (or similar) for the cookbook.

Posted by
Wilson101
Feb 18, 2009 11:29am PDT
Wilson101

Ditto on the coil binding option…… It would lay flat when opened. Anyone listening at Blurb?

Posted by
judymoecker
Jan 9, 2010 10:46am PDT
judymoecker

You can print yourself and use a spiral binding machine from Office Max or Office Depot.  Probably would be less costly than Blurb could do it for.

Posted by
deanej
Jan 9, 2010 11:01am PDT
deanej

Agree — Office Max or Depot are better options. At least you aren’t out the money you waste on this silly product.

Posted by
gbartlett3
Jan 22, 2010 6:37pm PDT
gbartlett3

I also just received a cookbook I did for a granddaughter’s wedding shower. It is beautifully done and am impressed with the quality of the photos.
BUT, I HAD TO BUY A COOKBOOK STAND (B & N Bookstore has several kinds) SO YOU CAN KEEP IT OPEN WHEN USING IT. It is so sad that with such quality BLURB cannot do a spiral binding so it lays flat. I have dozens of store bought cookbooks, and only 3 aren’t spiral bound; and those are falling apart from use….
BLURB ARE YOU LISTENING??

Posted by
judymoecker
Apr 10, 2010 4:15pm PDT
judymoecker

Hi Judy,

Thanks for posting. Of course we’re listening. We keep track of all the great feedback and suggestions listed here in the forums and sent to customer support. As you can imagine, we get a ton of ideas from folks like you and throughout the year we review each and every one. Spiral bound books are not on the plan for this year, but there is always next year.

Keep those ideas coming!

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Apr 11, 2010 12:32pm PDT
kathybad

Add one more request for coil binding!  I’m waiting to make my cookbook until I can get this kind of binding. 

Posted by
chriseladd
Nov 15, 2010 4:02pm PDT
chriseladd

Please – spiral binding. I printed my own cookbook and had it spiral bound but the "home" printer inks are not water resistant. Would love to use your service but spiral binding for a cookbook is ESSENTIAL – must lie flat on the bench. P-L-E-A-S-E

Posted by
65nanna
Nov 27, 2010 12:02pm PDT
65nanna

While I’m not doing a cookbook, I am doing a textbook that I think would last longer if it were printed with a spiral binding because it could be laid out flat for easy use.  I’m disappointed that this binding is not an option—which may make it impossible for me to use your service to print the book.

Posted by
lynneelizabe
Jun 9, 2011 11:37am PDT
lynneelizabe

I also would like to have the option for spiral-type binding. I even called Blurb to ask if I could receive my book unbound so that I could take it to Staples/Office Max and just have them to the spiral/ coil binding but Blurb told me I couldn not just get the pages. Seems like a simple enough request.

Posted by
lc3dan
Aug 21, 2011 9:14am PDT
lc3dan

I noticed a comment by Blurb in April, 2010 that spiral bound books wouldn’t be available that year, "but maybe next year." <cite>?  It’s next year. :-)  Blurb, are you out there?  When do you think you’ll be getting the sprial or coil binding?</cite> 

Posted by
chriseladd
Aug 31, 2011 7:31am PDT
chriseladd

Yes, at the time I’m posting this it has now been two years since that comment was made… I just emailed Blurb with a lay-flat/spiral binding request/wish. I wouldn’t care what method is used as long as it lays flat and still has a quality feel about it. I would definitely use it for cookbooks, instructional books, music and scrapbooking.  I have seen a number of spiral bound books that are then placed inside a hard cover so the spiral part is enclosed within the book (I’ll try to attach an image). That way titles can still be printed on the spine and it looks almost like a regular book when placed on a shelf.  I feel there is nothing cheap looking about this particular style of spiral/coil binding.  I’m sure it has a name, but I can’t seem to find the proper term.

Keep plugging away with requests to Blurb. I think if they ever decide to offer it, they will be glad they did. I don’t know of any other book product company that’s doing it. Sample coil/spiral binding

Posted by
Kaye_Adams
Jun 21, 2012 12:06pm PDT
Kaye_Adams

Please please please, make a coil binding, I have several copies I want to print and doing it myself is just not feasible!  I’d make a few Blurb, so bring it on! :)

Posted by
lehmannl
Jul 29, 2012 6:57am PDT
lehmannl

I am also looking for this type of binding.  I really like the capabilities Blurb has for making up the book, but need it to lay flat!!

Posted by
clewco
Aug 13, 2012 3:22pm PDT
clewco