Book Printing

binding problems

I have been giving book publishing seminars over the past couple of years with Blurb being one of three online publishing companies I promote. Lately however, several people who have used Blurb have brought their books in to show me that the bindings are literally coming apart, pages are dropping out and the the book is falling apart. Unfortunately this has happened to one book that I had printed last December as well. Has anyone else run into this quality control issue and if so has it been addressed by Blurb.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jdsutton
Mar 18, 2009 5:41am PDT
jdsutton

I had a similar problem with a large order last December – I contacted Blurb about the worst one and they replaced it with a new one but several of the others were not bound all that well.  Since the books I made are only for family and not expected to be viewed many times over I was ok with it but I was not happy with the quality overall.  

Posted by
ljh6
Mar 18, 2009 10:57am PDT
ljh6

AGH!  Yes, this just happened to me.  I was so excited to get my book today…. well I opened it, and you could see that the first page was only glued about 1/4 the way down.  I flipped the page, and the second page came out.  And then the third… I managed to keep the rest in, but an office mate looked at the book and at least 20 pages came out!!!  I am soooo disappointed.  I did write to the "help" people.  Hopefully i can get a new book.

Posted by
Witkie
Apr 12, 2009 10:33am PDT
Witkie

I have the same problem. Excellent print quality, terrible binding.

Posted by
StanF
Apr 22, 2009 8:52pm PDT
StanF

Hi all,

Binding should not be terrible. We stand by the quality of our books and will make good on any manufacturing defects. Please get in touch with customer support so we can get started on a reprint for you right away.

Very sorry for the inconvenience. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Apr 23, 2009 11:30am PDT
kathybad

I have also had a problem with the binding on my latest book.  Within an hour of receiving it, the pasges began to become detached and also the front cover does not lay flat.  This was a special book so I am very upset. 

I have been happy with previous books, could they be using a new printing company?

Angela

Posted by
meraloma1
May 5, 2009 10:35am PDT
meraloma1

I have had a similar problem on an expensive hardback, so I guess that Blurb has a quality control problem that seriously needs addressing. I certainly won’t be ordering any more books.

Posted by
wayne_d
May 8, 2009 4:09pm PDT
wayne_d

Hi,

Really sorry to hear that some of you got bad books. If your book has a manufacturing defect, i.e., binding problems, please contact us and we will happily get you a new book as soon as possible.

I also popped into this thread to dispel any major quality problems with our books. A small percentage of our overall customers actually frequent the forums, and an even smaller number post when they get a good book, so it’s good to keep some of these comments in perspective. I know it’s hard to not get alarmed at some of these posts, but I am proud to say that our defect rate is something around 1.5%, which considering we printed hundreds of thousands of books, is not too shabby.

Again, sorry to hear your books weren’t perfect. Please give us the chance to make things right.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
May 9, 2009 8:43pm PDT
kathybad