Book Printing

Coating Issue on Imagewrap Covers

I have only produced 2 book designs, both with imagewrap covers, so I don’t have any experience with dustjackets yet. But…

My second book design arrived today, a portrait 8×10, 160pp. My first book was 80pp, 7×7 square format. It was perfect, no problems whatsoever. Today’s new arrival however, seems to have something seriously wrong with the coating on the imagewrap cover. First of all, it’s cloudy—to the point where the solid blacks appear to be about 75% strength. Luckily both books use the same author photo on the back, so I compared them to make sure it wasn’t my imagination. The first book’s covers were deep, rich dark in the dark places, etc. The new book has half the contrast due to the clouding. Second, the overal gloss of the second book is much higher than the first—which was a nice and perfectly smooth satin finish. This is more reflective, to the point where it reveals the peaks and the valleys of the chiboard underneath.

I’m pretty certain to my eye that it’s not poor printing, but something mechanical with whatever coating goes on the cover papers. I’m not sure if it’s a UV coating or a laminate or whatever, I just know it’s not right. The reflectivity issue makes me wonder if there’s a pressure or roller pressure problem at play, where the laminate wasn’t adhered properly…

Here are my image links so everyone can see:

http://www.meta-visual.com/BLURB_484067_perfect.jpg

http://www.meta-visual.com/BLURB_498912_Streaking.jpg

You can see in the lower right of the streaked version how I’ve burnished just a tad with my fingernail to see if the coating changes.

I appreciate any input while I wait to hear back from Blurb Tech support on what appears to be a manufacturing defect.

Jim

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MetaVisual
Apr 3, 2009 11:01am PDT
MetaVisual

The imagewrap covers on my books have been hit or miss for the last 6 books, with the exact same problems you describe.  All of the books I ordered last fall were perfect, with no problems whatsoever, now this year it seems like one will be good, and the next will be faded, washed out, scratched, etc., just like you describe and show in your pictures.  Customer service is very prompt in replacing them, but they shouldn’t need to be replaced in the first place.  This is an issue that should be addressed and taken care at the cover printer so the books are right the first time. 

I had a book to be presented to a coach at his awards banquet for 30 years of coaching, and he was presented with a cover that was so faded and scratched so badly the picture was barely recognizable.  There is no excuse for a company to be sending out products in this condition.  I just received two books yesterday with the spine crushed in the top corner.  These books were obviously placed into the package in this condition, as there was no damage to the box at all.  Why would a company send products to a consumer when they are obviously damaged? 

I have kept several of my last books even though the covers were of mediocre quality, just because the customers were waiting for them for either birthday gifts or graduation gifts, but if I decide to stay with Blurb (I might add, the inside picture quality of these books was outstanding), then EVERY BOOK that has an issue with the cover is going to be returned.  I am done settling for mediocre quality in the covers, not when I know what they should look like, as when the covers are printed correctly, they look fabulous.

Jana T.

Posted by
jmthompson
Apr 12, 2009 1:20pm PDT
jmthompson

Sorry Jana,  their most recent solution is to send a return label and a coupon good for the same book with a dust jacket!  They say the quality will be better.  JP

Posted by
jpinkerton
Apr 14, 2009 5:07am PDT
jpinkerton

I was going to order mine with imagewrap. Now I’m not so sure….....

Posted by
koolkat
May 3, 2009 8:10pm PDT
koolkat

All four of my blurb books printed so far have seen problems with the cover lamination separating. I am assuming this is a common fault and I am thinking of only publishing the book with a dust jacket or imagewrap.

LouisB

Posted by
louisberk
May 4, 2009 4:46am PDT
louisberk

We have the same problem.  Yea some kind of coating problem.  Evertime we open and close the book the coating coming apart is getting wider.  I am so pissed.  I paid NDA to have this book for a deadline.  I hate the way you have to go through customer service to get help.  Oh I dont want to talk about the quality of the pics.  They are not using quality print settings to print these book.  Something is wrong.  You can screw up a pic when your using a Cannon 5D Mark II. 

Posted by
rvneil12
May 14, 2009 8:36pm PDT
rvneil12

Hi,

Very sorry to hear that this is happening. The lamination should not be separating at all on any of our books. That’s a clear manufacturing defect, so please contact customer support asap so we can get you a replacement book immediately.

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
May 15, 2009 12:18pm PDT
kathybad

I also retunred the first bad book with this problem, and noticed something interesting: For me at least, it’s imagewrapped books coming fromBlurb’s Missouri location that are bad, bad, bad. Reprinted books came from Washington—perfect. I have spoken with one other person who also confirmed that their bad books came from Missouri. This is the lamination and spine issues specifically.

So I would say Blurb has issues with books coming from certain locations.

Posted by
MetaVisual
May 23, 2009 11:53am PDT
MetaVisual