Book Printing

RESEARCH QUESTION - average $ spent on self-publishing a book

my daughter is doing a paper on printing and i am trying to help her find out about how much people are spending to self-publish a book these days – regular size, novel or non-fiction.  anyone have any clues – or can point me to some research on this?  thanks so much!  kathy

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kath88
May 1, 2009 9:24am PDT
kath88

It’s a little difficult to answer your question.  If you want to know the cost to print the book you can look at the pricing guide.  If you’re asking how much it costs to do the work to produce the book – that may be a very difficult question to answer as every book has different facits to it.  For example I recently self-published a family history book.  It took me over a year to organize my research and write the stories.  I also restored and colorized over 300 photographs for the book.  The book was 320 pages.  If my yearly salary was $30,000 – then the book cost me $30,000 to produce – will I make $30,000 on the book – no way .  Would I do another – absolutely!  Because your family history is priceless it’s worth every hour of time to preserve it.   Sorry that probably did not answer your question – but it might give you an idea of how difficult it may be to answer your question.

Posted by
Bebensee
May 1, 2009 10:21pm PDT
Bebensee

I would guess most people are self publishing because the couldn’t get a regular publishing company to ‘buy’ their book and send them royalties.

I’m doing a similar 8×10 color family history book, which I’ll go to the max of 440 pages. It’ll cost about $100 each with shipping. I’ve been working on this book for seven years. I’ve spent money on cross sountry trips, motels, cameras, copiers, computer equipment, etc., and then find Blurb. It doesn’t really matter what it costs as the finished book will be invaluable to those that purchase it. How much will I ‘earn’ on the book – nothing! It’s only a labor of love.

My most recent book on another subject (photo book) cost me a week of evenings, and the Blurb charges for printing and shipping to me.  It’s apples and oranges to compare these two.

It’s really hard to self publish at an economical price for resale. Would I pay $39.95 for somebody else’s photo book? I think NOT!  The alternative is to get a regular publisher who will handle everything for you (if they don’t send you a reject letter), and that’ll still likely cost you a bundle, at least at first, before those royalty checks start rolling in.

In my opinion, self publishing for profit is only good for people that have new information on  niche subjects, and have the contacts for selling them.

Sorry I didn’t answer your question!

Posted by
koolkat
May 3, 2009 8:00pm PDT
koolkat

Research costs are never the same for any book project. You also need to figure in the legal fees (Isbn, LCCN, copyright registration, trademarks, etc.) and any attorney consultation costs. After the book is complete (published), how much does it cost to distribute and market?

There are so many aspects to a self-publishing project, it is difficult to ball-park the costs.

Posted by
dilbert1965
May 5, 2009 2:01pm PDT
dilbert1965

kath88,

Your question is kinda too broad and not specific enough.

Cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 5, 2009 2:34pm PDT
brianbonitz