Book Printing

Laser Printer test vs Blurb

I’ve just printed off a test version of my book on a HP 4600 laser jet on basic white copier paper and wasn’t totally impressed with the reproduction (I now know I need to sharpen some of my images!)

But can I assume that Blurb’s printers and paper are a higher quality than this and my pictures will look better (and more photograph-y) in the actual book? :)

Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Xarra
May 27, 2009 4:12am PDT
Xarra

No you can not and should not.  I think their auto machine has only one setting and one setting fits all.  Do not assume it will bite you in the butt.  I did the same thing and was very dissappointed when the book showed up.  I am on my second reorder.  I even uploaded the same pic to Costco and inlarged them using the exact same format.  The pics were perfect.  All I can say is I am using a different book company.  Too much invested for the quality to be so poor.  Plus I dont like the email only communication.  The millions they were making are going to shrink because I have noticed a lot more negitive comments.  The keep the cost down by not have a staff and everything being automated is going to cost them more in the long run.  A year ago the quality was better.  I dont know whats happened.  Oh check the binding because a lot of the books are falling apart.  The coating on the covers are seperating too.  It will look like air bubbles forming. 

Posted by
rvneil12
Jun 5, 2009 7:10pm PDT
rvneil12

Xarra,

I think you’ll notice a difference for the better. The paper used by Blurb is a coated semi-matte paper which is much, much better for photos than copier paper. When I did a series of test prints at home when working on my first book I used Epson semi-gloss paper and got results much closer to my resultant book. But the paper is NOT glossy photographic paper, it is very much like that you’d find in most photo books in a regular book store, not the very high-end glossy coffee table photo books. There are other POD companies who’ll produce those for you, but you’re looking at a much higher price.

Printers such as Costco, Blacks, etc use photo paper for individual prints, you would expect to get better results for an individual photo than you’d get from a page of a book.

But I’ve done 5 photo books now, I’ve got two work-in-progress with ideas for others piling up. All have been good quality (13 copies in all) with no binding problems and no printing problems.

I’d recommend you give it a try. Maybe a 40-page 7" x 7" paperback test book with a broad selection of your photos? Just $12.95 plus shipping.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 6, 2009 12:26am PDT
tfrankland

I’m hoping to get a coupon soon, so I’m going for a 11×13 book as my proof!

Posted by
Xarra
Jun 7, 2009 11:13am PDT
Xarra

That’s great!

Report back when you get your book, it’ll be interesting to hear your views.

Good luck!

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 7, 2009 12:03pm PDT
tfrankland