Book Printing

PDF/InDesign or BookSmart?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me: what will give the best quality? Using InDesign and upload a PDF of use BookSmart with PNG files?

Looking forward to hear from you all!

Best Regards,

Gerlach van Beinum.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Kelim
Jul 29, 2009 8:52am PDT
Kelim

I am interested too mostly for sharpening.

My previous workflow for making Blurb books was:

1) InDesign editing

2) export all JPGs high quality

3) sharpen them one by one in Photoshop (oversharpening a little to compensate for quadtone printing process)- one by one because different pages need different levels of sharpening

4) import in the Blurb book and send for print.

How should I modify my workflow? Where should I do the sharpening?

Posted by
gallarotti
Aug 9, 2009 10:46am PDT
gallarotti

With the last sentence with last question, you need to sharpening in Photoshop.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 9, 2009 1:14pm PDT
brianbonitz

Brian,

so that would mean edit the entire book with already images oversharpened for print. Hmmm… I don’t think I would like that because then the PDF wouldn’t look good on screen il the lo-res version, which is my second publishing option (through issuu.co). 

I guess at this point I will have to use my old workflow then. Takes a little longer because of steps #2 thru #4, but at least I have absolute control over the quality and, at the same time, I can produce a beautiful PDF at screen resolution for web publication on issuu.com

Thanks for your input Brian.

Posted by
gallarotti
Aug 10, 2009 4:50am PDT
gallarotti

Out of my curiousity, do you use sharpening feature within Photoshop? Or do you use third-party plug-in of those pretty neat nifty sharpening tools?

With some sharpening plug-in, they have a couple of nice presets of different options for PRINT labs, on screen or computer or Internet, and inkjet printers at home. So you might want to take a look at these sharpening techniques.

While we are discussing some information about sharpening, there are a couple of pretty good discussion here at Blurb forums related to Sharpening topic. So feel free to have a look by search query on the term "sharpening".

Hopefully that helps you to the right direction.

Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 10, 2009 4:55am PDT
brianbonitz