Book Printing

A little confused here!

What profile do I convert to before placing images in the Book Smart software for output. The webinar says to convert to HP5000 CMYK as the final profile and the FAQ says sRGB. I have just received my first Blurb 13X11 book back from the printers and the colors look decent, but RED especially the skin tones. I am a professional Photographer as well as a Prepress professional and I am retired from National Geographic so I’m used to working with CMYK in very picky ways.

My monitor is calibrated properly and I use other Labs for press as well as prints and have had excellent results.

So my question is do I send Blurb CMYK or sRGB…<cite>??</cite>?

JIm

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
artsnimages
Nov 8, 2009 3:10am PDT
artsnimages

Jim: If you use the Booksmart software, you should soft-proof to the HP Indigo profile but assign (or convert if using a different colorspace) sRGB to the soft-proofed images. Booksmart expects that all images submitted will be in the sRGB colorspace.

If you are using the PDF to Book approach, it is recommended that you actually convert to CMYK.

Posted by
Minicucci
Nov 9, 2009 8:53pm PDT
Minicucci

Oh, lord. I was just about to upload my book when I read this. My photographs are all in Adobe RGB (1998), not sRGB. Does this mean I nead to convert all my images to sRGB, re-import everything into BookSmart and then replace all the images in my book? There goes another day of work.

I already went though this exercise over the weekend after reading all the complaints about images that printed too dark. I went through each image in Lightroom, brightened it by around 10%, then re-imported and painstankingly replaced every image in my book.  I think I’d rather shoot myself than have to go through this mind-numblingly tedious exercise yet again. To make the torture even worse, when you re-import an image into BookSmart, it doesn’t overwrite the old one. It just places the two of them side-by-side and you can go nuts trying to figure out which is which.

What will happen if I upload my book with images that are in Adobe RGB (1998)? Will it throw all the colors off? Will the images not post properly to your server? Will I be abduct by extra-terrestrials in my sleep? (Actually, I’d almost prefer this option to having to convert and re-import everything :-)

BookSmart is really getting on my nerves. Why the hell can’t it link dynamically to my images? Then all I’d have to do is batch convert them to sRGB.  I swear, using this thing is cruel and unusual punishment, which is supposed to be unconstitutional.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 9, 2009 11:50pm PDT
novalightmik

I’m really nervous about telling you this, so please don’t shoot the messenger…please!

You will need to convert them all to sRGB and you will need to import them again.

But at least you have LIghtroom so you can leave your originals as aRGB and simply re-export them choosing sRGB as part of that export process, If you select them all you can do that export in just one operation for all your photos.

Then a tip for replacing the photos in the book (I have had to do this!). Rather than using the BookSmart Get Photos feature, open the directory containing your newly exported photos and make sure you can see the thumnbnails. Place this window side-by-side with BookSmart then as you go through the pages of your book drag the photos directly from that directory into the page, that way there is no chance of getting muddled. (I never use the Get Photos option now, I always use this drag and drop I find it so much quicker).

Once you have finished look under the Get Photos button and you’ll see a Filter drop down, deselect show used photos, select show unused photos then you can do a select all and delete those.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 10, 2009 2:19am PDT
tfrankland

Okay, thanks, Tony. Not what I was hoping to hear, of course … but I won’t shoot you. I don’t even own a gun.

That said, it would be great if your Getting Started tutorial warned us about this and if there were some sort of message in BookSmart when you go to import photographs. I don’t know about other users, but it would have saved me hours of additional work.

I do like your tip about dragging and dropping photographs directly from my folder into my book. I did note that somewhere, either in a FAQ or one of the videos, but it seemed a lot less important than it does now.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 10, 2009 9:49am PDT
novalightmik

It’s not "my" getting started, I’m just a user like you. But I hope the Blurb team will spot your comment and make a note. If you have the time (and inclination) you could raise an enhancement request using this form.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 10, 2009 10:09am PDT
tfrankland

Tony, I just sent Blurb my comments. Thanks.

Posted by
novalightmik
Nov 10, 2009 10:35am PDT
novalightmik