Book Printing

binding questions

Your information on binding is very vague. I really like a sewn or stitched binding. In the past, I ordered a landscape format book with dust jacket and it was sewn. It was perfect. I just received a large square format book with dust jacket. I was anticipating a stitched binding on this as well. However, to my disappointment it was glued. I guess I am lucky that it is not falling apart like other posts mentioned. However, can you clarify if all books are now being glued or only certain styles (hard cover, square, landscape, etc.). Any help by blurb or other members of this community would be appreciated. Overall I love my book. I would like to continue to use blurb as I love the dust jacket option, however I would really prefer a stitch binding.

Thank you!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kymt
Dec 19, 2009 3:36pm PDT
kymt

Must say I agree. Perfect (or burst as some say) binding doesn’t seem to be what you get though. Gluing appears to be it. Although I’ve not found anyone with examples in a properly bound book anywhere else yet. The difference is cost is massive, you just simply wouldn’t get them for the price you do here if they were perfect bound.

Usually the old gluing is just for dummi’s in the publishing world, they don’t last forever.

Posted by
adamwilson
Dec 19, 2009 6:34pm PDT
adamwilson

It may depend on the number of pages. My books have all been printed in The Netherlands and the 40-page and 80-page ones have been side-stitched, the larger ones around 150 pages have all been glued. I gather from other posts in the forums on this topic that it does depend somewhat on where the books were printed as well.

But I have had no quality problems. My largest book 13" x 11" and 146 pages was glued. I have had 8 copies printed, the first in August 2008 and they are all still in good condition. My personal copy has had a lot of use as well. Unfortuneately there are a few people who have had problems though, but Blurb Customer Support is very good and won’t leave you with a book that is falling apart.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 20, 2009 2:20am PDT
tfrankland

Yes, if you binding proves unsatisfactory, contact blurb customer service and enter into binding arbitration.

Posted by
jshook
Dec 21, 2009 8:07am PDT
jshook

jshook, you positively have us in stitches!

Posted by
wiliamhoard
Dec 28, 2009 5:50pm PDT
wiliamhoard

Obscure humor is my signature.

Posted by
jshook
Dec 29, 2009 6:20am PDT
jshook