Book Printing

Hardcover and Hardcover-ImageWrap Books are Excellent! The cost of the books not so good:(

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Hello Blurb,

In regards to comments about blurb books with poor quality craftsmanship. I tested two different copies of your Hardcover and Hardcover-ImageWrap books and both have arrived with the highest quality craftsmanship that I have seen. My books are absolutely beautiful, well done and I am very pleased. I think all who know how to work with images and computers can put together a good book and be completely satisfied with the end results. 

However there is one small flaw that should be mentioned for when it comes to children’s books. That is a 20 to 30-page book that is 8×10 never sells in any store above $15.00 At most, the very books that I have made would sell for only about 12.99 Retail. As for a friend buying the book? Well, why buy a young children’s book for such high amounts when anyone can get these books for a lot less in a store. I’m disappointed that many will not buy the book just because of the high price. Any suggestions??

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cocopeanut
Apr 19, 2010 7:17pm PDT
cocopeanut

It’s simply an issue of volume. If you order 5,000 to 10,000 copies from a traditional printer they can then use traditional offset presses and you will get the price down to that you see in bookstores.

Order a few from a print on demand company that uses printer technology geered to small runs and you are bound to pay more.

I think to sell many books via companies such as Blurb you need to find a niche market that cannot find the books they want from a bookstore so are willing to pay a premium price for them.

Try tailoring the book for each friend? Get a photo of their child and include that on the cover or somewhere in the book, they will be so chuffed they are more likely to buy one. It will take a bit more effort but will not cost you any more.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 20, 2010 12:16am PDT
tfrankland

And let me guess… you pasted all the text for the books from Word. Just call me psychic.

Posted by
jshook
Apr 20, 2010 5:04am PDT
jshook

That’s great Tony, thanks for the tip.

I will use your advice and order more of my own books to bring my price down. I am currently working on a big novel that will be worth the money.

My first books are a trial run, fine the flaws and fix them.

Oops! I did use word, but didn’t realize that it would post my comment like this.

Posted by
cocopeanut
Apr 21, 2010 7:51pm PDT
cocopeanut

Hey! I’m currently in the process of writing my first novel and am considering usign blurb.com to publish my first few copies of it. It seems as though you have experience with this website and I would really appreaciate it if you could tell me a few more details about the quality of ImageWrap hardcover books from blurb.com. Thank you!

Posted by
LaReinatale
Jul 27, 2010 10:37am PDT
LaReinatale

imagewrap are great… much nicer than the soft cover, due to matte finish rather than glossy i think. THe soft cover also tend to curl up slightly from the corners if you leave them out. So if cost is not an issue, go hardcover imagewrap!

Posted by
cinemateus
Sep 20, 2010 11:52am PDT
cinemateus