Book Printing

New Lustre Premium Paper - experiences

Has anyone ordered the new premium paper and received yet?  I am curious as I prefer glossy paper over matte.  I understand this is probably not really "glossy" but has a glossyish finish but is matte enough so fingerprints are not all over it. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
momo888
Apr 24, 2010 6:40pm PDT
momo888

Yes, I just got one and I’m pleased. Its definitely a subtle difference, in fact its very hard to see the difference between the old premium paper (matte) and the glossy. But its there if you look side by side…especially in the blacks, the blacks are much richer and darker (I usually used the "darkroom" theme with a black background for my images and its a much smoother, richer black.) And it resists fingerprints fine.

I’m actually happy that its not any glossier, a high gloss paper isn’t really appropriate for a book.  I’ll be ordering all my books with this paper now.

Posted by
jczinn
Apr 29, 2010 5:57am PDT
jczinn

I just received the third reprint of a book of portraits. The first 2 using the “matte premium” and the new lustre finish. As stated above, the blacks do appear very slightly darker, but I see no difference at all in gloss. Neither does this paper feel quite as substantial as the matte.

However, the color of this printing is the best of the lot. It’s actually the first I’ve had no trace of overall color shift. But because each order can come from one of several printers nationwide, it’s impossible to say if all future reprints will look this good.

Posted by
jpallone
May 8, 2010 1:36pm PDT
jpallone

Comparing all three papers in 80-page softcover books, I’d say the regular paper is still a tad glossier than the new premium paper. An opened perfect-bound 80-page softcover book lies flatter when it contains the thinner regular paper, but that paper is prone to getting dented, whereas both premium papers aren’t.

Posted by
contientin
May 11, 2010 3:50am PDT
contientin

I have just had a 10×8 160 page book printed with the New Lustre premium paper, and will be using it for all my future books. In other words I’m very pleased with the quality.

Posted by
BarryHill
May 11, 2010 9:21am PDT
BarryHill

I still can’t figure out how to choose one or the other in my book order process. I designed my book in InDesign, saved my pdf, and went through the order/upload process. I got to choose regular paper of premium but did not see where to choose matte or lustre. When I got through the Book Sizing section it showed that I had chosen matte paper. I want lustre. Blurb did not get back to me with an answer today so I had to waste an extra day ordering. That is frustrating. I am sure it is right in front of me somewhere but I don’t know where.

Posted by
jayfoto
May 18, 2010 7:03pm PDT
jayfoto

I’m wondering the same thing as you jayfoto. How do you select the lustre finish – I’ve made a 148 page large landscape premium paper image wrap book and it defaults to a matte finish??

Please help!

Posted by
Underdog72
May 19, 2010 1:50pm PDT
Underdog72

I got to books and would like to have premium paper, matte. But it’s only one of the books where I can choose it. One book got about 180 pages, and the other 130. Can it have anything to do with the size of the book?

Kind regards

Josefine

Posted by
Jossekatt
May 23, 2010 4:08am PDT
Jossekatt

Josefine,

there is a limit of 160 pages for books using premium paper (matte of lustre). You’ll find the FAQ here.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 23, 2010 4:15am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you very, very much Tony!

Kind regards

Josefine

Posted by
Jossekatt
May 23, 2010 8:00am PDT
Jossekatt

I’ve uploaded my 80 page book today and will order copies shortly. I used Booksmart to create my book. Will I be able to use the coupon code to upgrade to premium paper and receive the discount, or is that only for books created with PDF-to-book format?

Cheers, Robin

Posted by
rob007
May 30, 2010 7:32am PDT
rob007

I’m just comparing my new Blurb book made with premium lustre against one from a while back made with premium matte. The new paper has a smart, silky finish and looks more professional and contemporary – the matte looks kind of ‘retro’ in comparison. I can’t imagine choosing matte again now.

Posted by
shinephoto
Jun 18, 2010 4:09pm PDT
shinephoto

I’ve just received my first one with the new “lustre” finish.
I must say I’m very pleased with the result, the difference with the matte option is all in the shadows:
The Shadows are are more readable, more “open” gaining exposure latitude to the image, while keeping good deep blacks.
I’ve some night shots and the blacks are black!.

Overall a good improvement, I think I’ll choose again the lustre option for my next book.

Fabio

Posted by
treeffe
Jul 22, 2010 2:14am PDT
treeffe