Book Printing

Recycled or FSC-certified paper

I would totally be willing to pay a little extra to print books on recycled or FSC-certified paper— and I suspect I’m not the only one. Would be super cool to see these added to the paper quality options when you’re checking out…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
amymarquis
May 12, 2010 2:07pm PDT
amymarquis

+1.

Perhaps that you also want to submit a feedback or suggestion email submission, > Help > Customer Support (once you are on Support home page on that page, then…) > Contact Support tab > follow the steps that you need to enter info…

When you select Pick a category, you want to pick “Suggestions and Feedback” category from pull down menu. When you are done with all necessary info entered, be sure to hit submit twice I believe.

Hope that helps.
Brian | passionately Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 13, 2010 1:51pm PDT
brianbonitz

I second that! Many books are used as promotional material for companies or freelancers and as such are increasingly important to show sustainability credentials. Bring on the FSC and recycled paper please!

Posted by
rmaier
Jun 13, 2010 4:57am PDT
rmaier

I am currently in discussions with a client for whom I am designing a photobook as a corporate gift (they will probably require a few dozen), and they have requested FSC-certified paper or some other eco-friendly credentials.  I thought there was a good chance that all products Blurb produce would meet such standards as the company seems very forward thinking in other respects.  I am disappointed to find that’s not the case.  I strongly suggest, as frequent customer, that this is something looked into as soon as possible!

Posted by
stevemayes
Aug 3, 2010 5:13am PDT
stevemayes

That is a really good idea to include those paper quality options. I especially like the idea of printing on recycled paper, especially for books with a nature orientation. It also seems like a marketing advantage to print on recycled paper and support sustainability these days, which I support fully.

Posted by
DrewberryMI
Aug 5, 2010 1:49am PDT
DrewberryMI

I agree.

Well, perhaps that we ought to submit a feedback and suggestion to make this request known at Blurb.

Brian | Passionately Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 5, 2010 4:30am PDT
brianbonitz

Not at all happy to find the lack of recycled paper printing options. I will be publishing the several books I am writing preferably on 100% post consumer recycled paper. I wouldn’t want it any other way. I guess I will have to keep looking.

Posted by
guidednow
Dec 11, 2010 7:15pm PDT
guidednow

I made this suggestion – an FSC option – to Blurb and got the following response:

"Our premium paper is FSC Certified (Forest Stewardship Council, www.fscus.org) and the supplier is Third-Party Certified as well. Chain-of-custody is a third-party certified system that documents the path taken by wood from the forest to the mill."

Posted by
TimStewart
Dec 22, 2010 10:17am PDT
TimStewart

I would be pleased if the paper used for the black and white formats were also FSC or recycled, as personally I will be working more with those formats and I’d like to do so more ethically.

Posted by
andypaciorek
Feb 3, 2011 2:14pm PDT
andypaciorek

great idea!

Posted by
JemmaCastle
Feb 18, 2011 6:19am PDT
JemmaCastle

I contacted Blurb’s customer support because I wasn’t able to verify Blurb’s status as FSC-certified here: https://us.fsc.org/download.fsc-certified-printers.136.pdf

Posted by
sedgerak
Nov 22, 2013 4:11pm PDT
sedgerak