Book Printing

12 X 12 digital scrapbook album-editing (cropping) questions

I am getting ready to order a book. I have done all the pages in photoshop and it looks good on the preview page my question is re: the sizing. On the edit page I have made sure everything is with in the crop (red outline) and I have even brought everything within the purple outline my question is has anyone every had more than that cut off? Is it typically within the red or purple edit lines? Or is it exactly how it looks on the edit page. On my pages I have some text that goes all the way to the edges and some pictures that do the same. Thanks so much for helping me out.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
special_lady
Jul 22, 2010 8:59pm PDT
special_lady

My experience has been that the trims are sloppy. It seems to vary with the subcontracted printer as I’ve done reprints on different books and gotten significant trim differences on the same pages. That’s not something we have much control over other than to design around it.

Posted by
cjmadigan
Jul 25, 2010 5:22pm PDT
cjmadigan

I’m not sure Blurb are sloppy with regard to the trimming the FAQ does make clear that this is a mechanical process and there may be variations. Details here.

When I use photoshop for designing pages I size the image for a full bleed page and then when I place my page image it goes right to the edge on all sides. But I know  that trimming will take place so I make sure there are no critical parts of that image within 1/4" of the edge of the image. This has always worked fine for me.

The FAQ on this is explains the approach in detail.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 26, 2010 12:24am PDT
tfrankland

thanks so much for both of your responses, tony and cjmadigan, I wish I had known about blurb when I began designing my pages. I have shrunk them down within the "purple border and then added a complimentary background color. Its always a bit nervewracking when doing your first book. I guess I’ll just print it out and hope for the best. Thanks so much.

Posted by
special_lady
Aug 2, 2010 2:42pm PDT
special_lady

One more pont if I may? I have found that I get a better quality print if I export the page images as .png rather than ,jpg, it has a lossless compre4ssion algorthym and so does not introduce artifacts (jaggies) that can occur with jpg. If the page image is purely a photograph (s)  you’d see no difference but as your pages have text as well I’d recommend it. It tends to show up in small  "skinny" fonts and fonts with seraphs.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 2, 2010 10:36pm PDT
tfrankland