Book Printing

Output sharpening (Lightroom-InDesign)

There are a couple of posts mentioning output sharpening but none that answer the simplest question: is output sharpening required?
I’m working on my first Blurb project having used Foto.com for prints almost exclusively because they don’t apply any effects before printing (sharpening/saturation…) – all I need to know is whether Blurb applies any sharpening themselves, thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tagscuderia
Aug 20, 2010 11:57am PDT
tagscuderia

i have just uploaded my first project directly from lightroom 4. i must say, that when reviewing the preview online, i am alarmed by the degree of visible sharpening. i am hoping this is just a preview problem since i have spent hours getting the images “just right” and i do not want anyone else meddling with the sharpness (or anything else for that matter).

i placed the order anyway as an experiment and will report back in a due course

Posted by
lselsick
Jun 6, 2012 8:51pm PDT
lselsick

Feel free anyone to correct me, but I’m pretty sure Blurb doesn’t add extra sharpening.

So with InDesign you’d resize and sharpen before adding pictures to the layouts. With Lightroom sharpening is applied using its standard sharpening level. If you want to control this, change the Book Settings to PDF which offers other levels of sharpening, and upload the resulting PDF directly to Blurb.

"i have just uploaded my first project directly from lightroom 4. i must say, that when reviewing the preview online, i am alarmed by the degree of visible sharpening."

Don’t be. It’s only an on-screen simulation. Evaluate what you get in the printed version

John

Posted by
johnbeardy
Jun 10, 2012 6:34am PDT
johnbeardy

Then are we over sharpening without realising it??

I do three sizes of my images so that they fit into the page to make sure I get No issues.

All my images on my monitor look great, I print upto A3 and they look great.

But the moment I upload and Preveiw the book they look oversharpened and some look horrible.

Today I found three Wedding books by other authors that looked really excellent whilst viewing. so what are we/I doing wrong.

My last wedding couple got put off when they looked at the preview book. I must add though, that each book I have had printed have looked Good. But it is this Preview that is off putting.

What can we do to correct this.?

Posted by
copernob
Jul 7, 2012 5:58am PDT
copernob