Book Printing

Locked Poor print quality

Upon receiving my books in my initial excitement they seemed ok. Then I realised how grainy all the photos looked and even the black around them was pixelatted and I began to notice these white specks throughout the black on each page. I contacted customer support who kindly reprinted my order. Unfortunately this new lot are exactly the same. I realise that the photos will not be as clear as if they were printed on photo paper, but surely the black should be black and I shouldn’t be able to see pixels? Am I being too fussy? I really don’t want customer support to reprint them again if it just that I have too high of expectation…

Posted by
Grace513
Oct 11, 2010 9:01pm PDT
Grace513

it seems like there’s quite a few concerns with the print quality and ‘dots’

I noticed it very clearly once I unwrapped my first two books. It was probably even more evident because I was looking at it under the sun. Now back indoors, I see lots of little tiny does in places where the colour should be solid.

But hearing from you that Blurb has been willing to reprint, and the quality remains the same, I guess this goes to suggest this will be the level that we should expect from Blurb’s printing. Though the dots issue isn’t my only concern from my two books – though it is my foremost major concern.

Posted by
hiki08
Oct 12, 2010 1:14am PDT
hiki08

Hmm I guess so, but the way some people rave about the quality of printing they received, how their blacks were black and the photos crisp, makes me think that they must have got better printing than me because I don’t think anyone would say those things about the printing in my books. I guess when Blurb claims to provide the level of quality that you would find in a photobook in a book shop, I kinda had high expectations…

Posted by
Grace513
Oct 12, 2010 4:04am PDT
Grace513

Hi Grace513,

Please contact us at customer support again and let us know what happened with this latest order. It’s possible something in the original image is contributing to the problem you’re seeing and we can look into it.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Oct 12, 2010 7:48am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Grace513,

Did you get your book reprinted again? I’ve just received my 1st attempt at a blurb book and am extremely disappointed with the print quality. The photos are grainy and look like they were taken with a low quality camera when the opposite is true. 

I, too thought that maybe this is all I should expect from Blurb’s printing? So I’m interested to hear whether higher print quality is achievable?

regards

Michelle

Posted by
michellesom
Nov 3, 2010 1:39pm PDT
michellesom

I just went through this with blurb (note the previous subject "heartbreaking".  I feel the problem may not be the printer, but the workflow of processing an image.  There seems to be no clear cut tutorial on HOW to process an image.  If you don’t get a yellow warning, then it should be correct?  Right?  No, it isn’t according your your experiences and mine.  I heard someone say that you resize the image for the container it is being put in.  Is that so?  I am stumped and I sure wish blurb would come out with processing information.  They are redoing mine as well, but not for the grainy skies, but for having HUGE white spots on the black paper and on another book, for no reason, there are two bright yellow pieces of paper.  Why?  Don’t know.

Please, blurb … give us a tutorial.  This is frustrating.

Leslie

Posted by
klhdesign
Nov 3, 2010 2:16pm PDT
klhdesign

Its true.
Same Issue with my book. I just received it the other day.
I am okay with it because I take it as a lesson but man oh man.. very poor quality.
Pictures are printed in low contrast & cheap paper.
Very Disappointing.
I am not much a complainer but like to get my word out as well.
I am moving on away from Blurb.com

Posted by
rin_seguin
Nov 5, 2010 3:04pm PDT
rin_seguin

Hi Rin,

Very sorry to hear that you are not happy with your book. From what we can tell, you have not even written into support to tell us what the problem is. If your book has a defect or we can give you a solution to help you fix your images, we’d like to be given the chance.

Whenever you have a problem with our service, please contact us immediately. We can’t make things better for you or improvements to our processes unless we hear that there is a problem.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 8, 2010 2:57pm PDT
kathybad

Same issue here.

Ordered two books from blurb recently and both did not live up to our expectations of great print quality. Cover and binding are OK (although you lose a lot of space in the binding), but the Premium paper is thinner as expected, and not shiny. It doesn’t even come near to photopaper. We printed the same pictures on photopaper and the difference is huge, they have deeper colors, are sharper and have the typical shinyness you expect from a picture. The bookpages from blurb on the contrary, look as if they came from a typical color printer you can find in any office and the paper just a bit thicker as normal A4 sheets (not as expected when I clicked the premium paper link, it opens a little picture where it almost seems to have the thickness of a card).

Customer service is very fast in responding, but don’t offer any solution, so is useless to me. I spent a lot of money on one of these albums, even though I used a discount coupon, but blurb are not willing to refund anything.

So people, please beware! Do not expect any great book printing. If you want to print a text book with some pics, I suppose it will turn out fine, but certainly do not print any important photography here.

Posted by
rlfbcn
Dec 15, 2010 4:36am PDT
rlfbcn

rlfbcn,

Blurb do not claim that they print on glossy photo paper. The standard paper is coated matte, the premium paper is thicker with the same finish, there is also a lustre option with the premium paper, this is described as with a hint of gloss and not a lot of shine.

Those match the quality of most of the travel, wildlife, etc books that have a lot of photos that  I have bought from stores over the years. I have a few "coffee table" books which are printed on glossy photographic paper but they cost me a lot more.

The FAQs describe the paper well including the thickness,  though comparing with books I’ve bought and the photographic printing I do I’d judge the non-lustre paper as semi-matte rather than matte.

http://blurb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/358

So I don’t see that a solution or refund is necessary, the books meet their specification  though obviously not your expectations.

All my books have been photographic books and I thnk they are great and I hope I will produce many more using Blurb over the coming years.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 15, 2010 6:50am PDT
tfrankland

Tony Frankland,

Curious, we worked in the same company (A).

As for the print quality: it probably depends on your expectations. I chose the most expensive option (Large Square Imagewrap with Premium Paper and lustre finish) to make sure to get a decent album, but got disappointed anyway. I thought Premium lustre would be at least an approximation to photo paper, but it’s lightyears away. Just too much to be honest, if our office printer prints the same quality.

Am ordering the book now on photopaper quality with another company. And incredibly the price difference is practically unexisting, just a few EUR.

Sorry to disagree, but I wouldn’t recommend blurb not even for “coffee table books”, knowing that for a similar price you can get better quality.

Posted by
rlfbcn
Dec 15, 2010 7:35am PDT
rlfbcn

you say right

Posted by
jacka421
Dec 28, 2010 1:18am PDT
jacka421

Oh no! These posts have me scared. I just ordered my first Blurb photobook and am anxiously anticipating it’s arrival. The book is an accumulation of photos of me and my boyfriend during our first year together which I plan on giving him as a gift to celebrate our 1st year anniversary. My photos weren’t perfect in resolution and I am prepared for that but I dread having additional printing errors like pixelated white spots and such. I chose Blurb over Snapfish in an "eenie meenie miney moe" rather than for actual quality. I didn’t even bother to research the two and read reviews. A good friend of mine made a book on Snapfish and it was absolutely beautiful. It was for work so quality was key and it came out great. I’ll cross my fingers that Blurb has read these posts and made some quality adjustments. I want my book to come out well.

Posted by
karmelgraham
Dec 31, 2010 9:59am PDT
karmelgraham