Book Printing

cover coating peeling back - normal?

so I just got my book, and the back cover was bent slightly while in the box.

in addition, the corner where it was bent had some lamination on it and it is peeling back.  Is this a coating I am supposed to remove, or is this due to the book being bent in the box that was shipped to me?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
FrayLo
Oct 23, 2007 4:32pm PDT
FrayLo

FrayLo, Go to Blurb Help and report an order problem. That’s not normal. Looks like you have a soft cover book with the cover lamination coming off.

Posted by
lcarreira
Oct 23, 2007 6:38pm PDT
lcarreira

My softcover book is doing the same thing. Besides the laminate pealing both the front and back covers are curling up from the corners so the cover does not lay flat at all giving the book an odd appearance. Other than this I am pleased with the outcome.

Posted by
TheBeanTeam
Nov 7, 2007 9:32am PDT
TheBeanTeam

I had noticed the edges of my books curling up, but decided to accept this since the book (a cookbook/family memories book) would likely be shelved most of the time between other books, and this would keep the book looking nice. However, after friends and family looked over the book many times, the plastic laminate started to peel away from the cover’s edges. So I can see that the soft cover books are not going to last as long as I would want a newly craft family heirloom to last. I had printed one hard back copy of this book, but had found the product less than satisfactory. sigh… So I am waiting for a response from Blurb’s technical support to see if there is anything that can be done. Stay tuned…

Posted by
GreyKitty
Nov 9, 2009 9:16am PDT
GreyKitty

Good News to report! Mark of Blurb’s support team has looked at photos of my peeling laminate covers and is shipping me replacement copies of my book free of charge. Since most of the copies of my book order are Christmas gifts he has agreed to replace any of those copies that become problematic after they are given out at Christmas. I am extremely satisfied with Blurb’s response to my problem. The only issue left unanswered is whether or not Blurb will assure me that a subsequent order of my books (that I want to place asap) will not be produced by the same print partner that printed the peeling books. Stay tuned….

Posted by
GreyKitty
Nov 13, 2009 9:53am PDT
GreyKitty

While I am very pleased with Blurb’s willingness to replace any books that peel, I am less satisfied that they have not responded to my question about the production problem and whether or not they identified it and have fixed it. I just placed another order and, unfortunately, it was produced by the same printing partner in Missouri. I’m holding my breath that these copies that I am giving to family and friends won’t also start to become delaminated.

Posted by
GreyKitty
Dec 5, 2009 3:33pm PDT
GreyKitty

I don’t understand why Blurb hasn’t figured out by now how to correct the peeling/curling problem w/softcover books. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s intentional since the soft cover is the least expensive cover to buy. I wanted to order softcover copies of my last book for gifts but after reading all the complaints in addition to having one book I had ordered in softcover do the same thing, I went ahead & ordered all the gifts in imagewrap. I’m aware that some lucky people have gotten books that don’t curl but that still leaves a lot of people w/bad books.

Posted by
loricherokee
Dec 6, 2009 3:22pm PDT
loricherokee

Pretty depressing to read this. I got my first copy of my book this afternoon, and the covers are already curling even though I’ve only looked through the book 3 or 4 times. What’s it gonna look like when it’s a year old?

Posted by
howyadoin
Dec 19, 2009 12:49am PDT
howyadoin