Book Printing

B&W book with photos

I’m ordering a small order of one of my B&W books (with many photos). I’ve had 3 orders of this book before. The first printing was excellent (from the Pacific NW printer), the second one terrible with photos that were about 75% darker than the first book(returned to the East Coast printer), and then the third one barely acceptable with banding in the overly light photos and a darker cover (same printer that printed the bad batch)..

I was so upset with the quality that I hadn’t ordered any more in a year.

I’m giving Blurb another chance on getting a good printing of my book. The first one was excellent, so I can’t see why it’s not possible to duplicate that. 

I’ve read here the quality of photos in the B&W books is about equivalent to ‘newsprint’, which would be acceptable, I have people that want this book, but I’ve had to tell them I discontinued it due to printing quality problems. I just had no confidence in consistent quality. I could have sold a bundle of them. So here I am trying it one last time on the book and have ordered a few, using the same file.

If this book was in color, it would be too expensive to sell, so please don’t suggest that.

I’ll report back here on the quality of the books when I receive them sometime in March. Hopefully they will be equal to my very first order, and perhaps I can regain some confidence. All I’m looking for is acceptable and consistent quality. I’d even wait longer to get that – but I don’t want to have to rely upon customer service again. It’s very frustrating.

I know customer service is normally very good, but I really prefer to just get a good book to begin with.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
koolkat
Feb 28, 2011 2:33am PDT
koolkat

I agree, I’m very concerned with Blurb’s Quality Control. In this past we’ve used Blurb as part of a fundraiser, I’ve recently posted a similar issue with their color books – I do not feel you’d have any better results in color.

When their were printing issues in the past I’ve been satisfied with customer service, but it seems Blurb is less and less wiling to support their customers. I’d be interested in hearing how your problem is resolved?

Posted by
striebig
Feb 28, 2011 8:12am PDT
striebig

It’s not looking good. The books have shipped, and they were done at the printer in Massachusetts that messed up two out of my three orders. I hope they have improved. In the meanwhile – I’m waiting….  and crossing my fingers. I have people that want this book and I hope they are saleable.

I’ll report back on the quality when I receive them. I hope they are satisfactory. I’d love to say they are perfect.

Posted by
koolkat
Mar 4, 2011 7:27am PDT
koolkat

Got the books several days back, and they look good. If Blurb’s printers can be consistent, I’ll order more. Guess I’ll do that again soon, and cross my fingers again. I hope Blurb has all their printers whipped into shape… thanks, Blurb.

Posted by
koolkat
Mar 16, 2011 10:21am PDT
koolkat