Book Printing

Locked Pages falling apart

Hi,

am I the only one having problems with pages falling apart after few minutes of gentle use  with books printed in Europe??

Posted by
Magicsea
Mar 8, 2011 2:45pm PDT
Magicsea

No, customers services have replaced a 120 page book I produced and I’m still not convinced that the replacement is up to the job. Asked why it was not a sewn binding like my first book and was told (via a reply in French that I had to get translated) that books with 120+ pages cannot have a sewn binding.

I want to order more copies of my book so want to find out if there is a way I can insist on a sewn binding.

Other than the binding (important obviously) everything else has been great.

Posted by
firebird_uk
Mar 9, 2011 7:40am PDT
firebird_uk

Same here! 160 page standard landscape reprinted, need to treat it like a raw egg. The alternative is the small square or books with less than 120 pages. See my blog post

The small square inserts the pages ca. 7mm into the hardcover whereas the standard landscape format inserts it only 3,5 mm, a design flaw. 

The re-print was done very fast. I send a mail pointing out to the design flaw which was answered by dead silence :). 

Posted by
editionh
Mar 9, 2011 7:52am PDT
editionh

in my case it has been 3 orders, about 10 books, all totally bad. Now they give me the option of getting the books checked out by customer service before shipping them to me, which doesn’t guarantee more faulty books in the future or getting the books made by a different printing partner, which doesn’t guarantee color and paper quality which I liked so far.

So, no real long term solution here. The big problem is that all the layout work has been done with booksmart and can’t be exported to other formats, so if I find a good binding company I´ll have to do all the work again…

Posted by
Magicsea
Mar 10, 2011 5:17am PDT
Magicsea

All blurb needed in my case was a picture of the loose page detached from the book and they arranged a reprint immediately – with the quickest and most expensive delivery free of charge. Just e-mail a picture of the damage and they’ll sort it almost by return – the whole exchange of e-mails took half an hour at most and the book was delivered from Holland the day after it was re-printed.

I found their customer support to be excellent – so just e-mail that picture and you’ll be sorted.

Posted by
ianto25
Mar 11, 2011 2:54am PDT
ianto25

They did replace the order, with more defective books. a couple of months later they told me the problem was solved, I ordered 6 more books and the same thisng happened: pages fall apart.

Posted by
Magicsea
Mar 11, 2011 5:15am PDT
Magicsea

I don’t know whether the packaging has anything to do with books coming apart but one thing I have noticed is that, with my books sent from the Netherlands to the UK, they’ve dropped the bubble-wrap in favour of a much more flimsy piece of transparent plastic which rips apart as easily as cellophane used to. I never had problems with bubble-wrapped books and only one with the new wrapping. Either way the packaging should be sufficient for any book to survive any amount of handling to any destination.

Posted by
ianto25
Mar 11, 2011 11:15am PDT
ianto25

I noticed the wrapping too, but the binding’s not to do with that. The binding problem is due to the glue they used, which is not flexible and cracks when you open the book. I took the books to a professional binder and saw the problem straight away.

Posted by
Magicsea
Mar 11, 2011 4:39pm PDT
Magicsea

Same problem here – just a few days use and the pages started to separate. The book was small landscape and only 40 pages. They’ve offered to replace but very nervous the same thing is going to happen again.

Posted by
bebe1921
May 20, 2011 12:37am PDT
bebe1921

My opinion is  sewn binding would be great, to secure the pages for large books with heavy papers.

Please try that in the near future.

Posted by
CELTICJRB
Jun 3, 2011 1:22pm PDT
CELTICJRB

I thought that books with less than 120 pages were stitch bound anyway?

I will have a third print of same book soon. If that falls apart again Blurb said they will refund me.

Posted by
editionh
Jun 5, 2011 8:58am PDT
editionh

OK there month later and with the second re-print the problem has is gone. The copy I received today does not fall apart even though I cannot see any major changes in the construction of the back and binding.

Posted by
editionh
Jun 14, 2011 8:12am PDT
editionh

I just got 2 copies of a 12X12 book and ALL the pages of both books came loose with the first look!! I have contacted customer service and am finding the process difficult and frustrating. I got and e-mail back asking for pictures. I took the time to do it right away, but the e-mail was not deliverable. After many attempts, I finally did not get a notification that my e-mail response was not delivered, so I am assuming they got it. Now I have not heard back. I really wish I had read these forums before I took the time to put my books together on Booksmart. Our photography club is featuring Blurb books at our next meeting on October 3rd. I really hope that this issue is resolved before that meeting or I will have to give a big NOT NOT ADVISE.

Posted by
lwalk3
Sep 26, 2011 8:11am PDT
lwalk3