Book Printing

Locked ProLine

Recently had a ProLine book printed. Underwhelmed. However, not sure if the problem is the process, or because of where the book was printed. The paper (pearl photo) is great. The feel of the finished coverwrap book (120 pages) is also great – chunky and heavy. The binding wasn’t great – but acceptable. But main problem is the printing. It is awful. Three previous versions of what is a developing book dummy were printed in Holland on premium lustre paper. All three have impressively accurate colour using the Blurb profile. The recent ProLine version is a mile off. Muddy dense reproductions make it useless for presentation. Perhaps new profiles are needed? For the next (hopefully final) version of the book I will return to earlier approach.

Posted by
PJBrittan
May 26, 2011 11:59pm PDT
PJBrittan

Have also just received my first proline book. Delighted with the pearl paper and the printing, have done many books with Blurb before and printing has not deteriorated with the proline service. However my book is about 122 pages and the binding is very tight. I feel that if I open the centre pages fully to view the photos that the binding will split , indeed the front cover has split about an inch already at the seam after opening it once. To get the full good of the proline paper I feel the book would need to be of the layflat type. This option is available from MyPublisher and works great, no problems with the binding. Here’s hoping Blurb offers this option soon.
Ritch.

Posted by
ritch
May 27, 2011 1:59am PDT
ritch

Yes the binding is too tight. But as I said my problem was with the colour. Having already made three earlier versions of the same book which are a very close match for screen using the Blurb profile the ProLine version was a major disappointment. This could well be because it was printed at a different location. But the problem remains. I have no confidence that having a book printed under the same conditions and using the only available profile will produce acceptable colour. So I wont be using it again. Its a shame because the new paper is beautiful.

Posted by
PJBrittan
May 27, 2011 5:11am PDT
PJBrittan

I too am concerned with colour and density…. I just had a small test book run with the new Proline Pearl paper, and though I like the feel of it, all my imagery came out very dense…. I’ve got a calibrated system (and use the Blurb icc profile for soft-proofing) – and things looked fine on the "premium" paper, but on the new Proline stuff, the same images are very dense and unacceptable.  – Jon

Posted by
jonares
Jun 8, 2011 6:32pm PDT
jonares

Following is the response i received when I questioned the quality of images on Proline Pearl paper.

“The new ProLine Pearl paper is known to add saturation to images as well as deepen any darks/black colors in your images.” [Moderator’s note: The information shared here is incorrect. Our CSR confused some information. Please disregard as this paper is not known for the above.]

Would have been nice to know before I started the book.

Jack

Posted by
Jackc
Jun 16, 2011 9:02pm PDT
Jackc

The printing is awfull!!! (the paper is nice) No Black but a kind of colour in it, not sharp….
I ordered the same book also in Lustre Matt Finish, that is great.
Also; the Matte FInish is printed in the Netherlands(for western europe)
The Pearl is printed in America send by FedEx))
_
As long as Blurb do not promise the same printquality, please do not order the Pearl.
>> Take the Matt Finish, especially for black and white)
By the way, i do like Blurb!!!!!

Posted by
debertkoning
Jun 17, 2011 3:52am PDT
debertkoning

I was interested to read in Jackc’s post that Blurb has said "The new ProLine Pearl paper is known to add saturation to images as well as deepen any darks/black colors in your images". So to get a book on Proline paper that I’ve already done on another paper might require adjusting all the photos! Yike! I’ve ordered a swatch kit and maybe will be able to assess the increased saturation and density. Or will I? Will the photos have been individually tweaked for each paper in the kit? Life was never simple.

Posted by
Maharg
Jun 23, 2011 10:35pm PDT
Maharg

Hi,

There’s some confusion going on in this forum thread based on an incorrect statement that came from our customer support department. We apologize for any confusion. I’ve indicated above what the misstatement is.]

A swatch kit does do a very good job of helping you decide between papers and how the same image looks across our line. So, I recommend that route.

I am locking this thread since it is based on some incorrect information. Thought it would be best to keep for history’s sake but not to invite any more misconceptions.

Hope this helps. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 24, 2011 9:17am PDT
kathybad