Web Features

Locked Ipad Epub format version problems

Hi everyone.

I was really excited to find that we now have the ipad version to put on sale of our books this morning. We went to check it out and bought a copy to test it out even though we don’t have an Ipad or Ipod. We saw it on Firefox’s epub viewer and on the Aldiko app on a Samsung Galaxy phone.

Both versions looked terrible. The photos and text are all misaligned, some got cut down to nothing, especially in pages with multiple images, and the text is all wrong — it isn’t even the font of the original book.

We took a lot of work to align everything and set up the text with the pictures, what now?

Is it an issue that resolves itself automatically if you view the book on Ipad? Is it formatted to fit a certain dimension? Our book is on 18 by 25 size.

I’ve looked around for info on this new option but I haven’t found anything.

Please give me an answer on this soon. I have some potential buyers for Ipad and I’d like to settle this. I cannot sell the book the way I saw it in Epub.

This is our book to show you how the book should look:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/2527058 (Hardcover)

Thanks.

Natasha

Posted by
nfabri
Oct 15, 2011 9:15am PDT
nfabri

Natasha,

if you haven’t already it would probably pay you to ask Blurb support staff this question as well as us forum members. If you are not sure how go to the Help menu at the top or bottom of this poage and select Customer Support, from there select the Contact Support tab.

If you do get a response from Blurb support how about posting it back in this thread? It could be of use to others with the same worries.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 15, 2011 11:15am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you Tony, I just have. Hopefully I’ll get some answers!

Take care,

Natasha

Posted by
nfabri
Oct 16, 2011 1:33pm PDT
nfabri

Hi Natasha,

Our ebook format is currently only supported on iPad and iPhone.  Viewing on any other device may produce undesired results like you have seen with your own book.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Oct 17, 2011 8:14am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Thank you Craig,

I’ve just read the reply from customer support saying the same thing. We will ask a work colleague to lend us his Ipad so we can make sure before we put it on sale, just to be safe.

In the meantime, I’m really happy with the hardcover we got by mail today. :-)

Thank you Blurb!

Natasha

Posted by
nfabri
Oct 17, 2011 3:28pm PDT
nfabri

My book was tested in iPad, and it was fine basicly… text and photos were there, even 2-page photo spread was fine. Text font was wrong, becourse I had no info about iPad-version fonts while I made the book.

I just tested to change the font in that same book, by selecting (at BookSmart) one of the fonts that iPad can use (http://blurb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2032/kw/ebook). New problem is, that by book is not the same anymore… this new font is "longer", so some of the text continue from page to next one (text jumps over some photos too). It can be fixed, of course.

But if fix it, I have to load new book, by one for me, and even by one iPad-version too, if I want my book to stay at shop. Some coupon for that maybe, please!

Posted by
artzimtb
Oct 23, 2011 1:09pm PDT
artzimtb

Yes, artzimtb. That’s exactly what happened to us. The text in our book was in Century Gothic but it changed to Arial automatically in Ebook because Blurb has only got licences for 20 fonts.

We published our original book on Oct. 1st and of course didn’t know about the fonts. Our book has both text and images — frequently on the same page with exact layouts to combine the two.

The only viable option was to tweak the book. I went through all the book and changed to Helvetica Neue and arranged the photos accordingly. In the end, the images look better now since Century gothic is fatter and takes more space. I guess ebooks need a more image oriented approach.

We did have to buy the new version in ebook, but it’s quite cheap. The annoying thing is that I don’t have an iPhone or iPad myself so I am paying for others to have the option to buy! I’ll consider it rent to be carried by Blurb Bookstore, shall I?

Posted by
nfabri
Oct 23, 2011 1:57pm PDT
nfabri

I just uploaded one of my books to my iPad as an ebook and it looks great except for the font.  On some of the pages not all of the text can be seen, cuts it off at the bottom.  Not on all the pages, just some.  I don’t mind that it is arial, just would like all of the text to be on the page.  Otherwise I’m happy with the ebook.   Also hope there is a way eventually to keep people from being able to take/print my illustrations via the ebook.       

Posted by
countrygarde
Oct 25, 2011 11:21am PDT
countrygarde

It worked fine for my book made up of illustrations and text. Obviously the font options are limited when in e-pub format. But the book ended up looking great on an iPad and I can offer it at a reasonable price.

Posted by
markfearing
Nov 1, 2011 2:49pm PDT
markfearing

I’ve created my book and downloaded the file but can’t view it!!! I only can see the cover:-( Anyone had this probem before? How can I fix it? And – how can others find my book? Where do they look for it???

Posted by
me4sunny
Nov 2, 2011 4:27pm PDT
me4sunny

You can render ePub files on a computer using one of these two free programs
Adobe Editions
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Sigil
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

• Please remember that the ePub renderings in these programs will differ from one another, and also differ from renderings done in reader applications found on devices like the iPad, Nook and Kindle.
Posted by
Dec 17, 2011 10:28am PDT

Please bear in mind that ePubs are HTML + CSS zipped into one convenient file . Thus much like websites, the rendering of the book will appear different between readers. ePub as a format can now, as of version 3.0, render almost any long format book you can think of. However, how it appears is down to the rendering engine, and the fonts licenced, within a given eBook reader.

Presently Apple’s iBook app for their mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, etc) is the most advanced, supporting the new ePub 3.0 standard but going beyond that with the support for javascript (useful for animated books, e.g. Children’s books). It supports the open-standard ePub format without requiring conversion into a proprietary form (e.g. Kindle requires the book to be converted into their “mobi” format to work with their reader, Apple does not).

Posted by
Dec 17, 2011 10:36am PDT

I have tweaked four of my books now, and am working to re-font and tweak the others. I am just flabbergasted by how great they look on the iPad 2. I am convinced that the electronic publishing will become more significant in the future, but is Blurb going to be ready for it? Is Blurb contemplating creating a blurb store that sells iPad downloads? Is it negotiating with Apple or anyone else to place the books on their store? Is it planning to offer a means to convert for Galaxy, or Kindle? Can Blurb be a middleman in obtaining ISBN Numbers?

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the generation who own iPads aren’t much interested in history books. http://www.blurb.com/books/2864340

Posted by
EXO
Mar 8, 2012 6:12pm PDT
EXO

The font change I can ive with.

Forcing a double page spread onto us is criminal. It makes viewing books really annoying. All the zooming in to get a page to fill the screen. Arghhhhh!

Posted by
ludlites
May 6, 2012 9:48pm PDT
ludlites