Web Features

How to allow viewing of enrtire book on line.....

This is my first post. I made my book available for viewing but why you can only view the 1st 14 pages of the book…how do you make the entire book viewable on line?
Can you??

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Kas1
Nov 6, 2007 12:52pm PDT
Kas1

Hi Kas1 –

Welcome to the Forums! You’re correct that Book Preview currently only shows the first few pages (it’s actually the first 15 ) of your book. 

Being able to display the whole book is an interesting idea – but its certainly something the author would need to control since most would probably not want their entire book previewable online.

We’re going to be working on some new Book Preview features in the not-too-distant future, so we’ll definitely keep everyone here in the Forums informed.  

Posted by
JackLyon
Nov 6, 2007 2:28pm PDT
JackLyon

thanks for the info…If I were ever to use blurb for wedding/ portrait work having the entire book available for previewing by my client is important if not essential…I’m looking forward to my 1st book can’t wait for it to come.

Posted by
Kas1
Nov 7, 2007 9:18pm PDT
Kas1

If you could have a preview function that let the author pick which page(s) they want would be great. Some might want to show every third page or 2 pages from each chapter ir any other combo…

Something to think about

Keep smiling

Posted by
pictureme
Nov 10, 2007 9:00am PDT
pictureme

why not have the entire book previewable to only those you directly invited to; the rest can preview only the first 15 pages.

Posted by
LeahR
Nov 11, 2007 10:13am PDT
LeahR

just found this post after asking same question

i’d favour LeahR’s suggestion!

Posted by
naftalina007
Nov 22, 2007 3:39am PDT
naftalina007

While Blurb is working on the new and coming Book Preview features, there are home brew solutions for the Complete Book Preview need. Either create a gallery of everything in the book like I do (click on any of my books and then click on the Contents link), or create a PDF (scroll all the way down) of your book, post it somewhere on-line, and link to it here.

Posted by
Michal
Nov 22, 2007 8:31am PDT
Michal

I agree that there should be an option to see more than the first 15 pages of a book.  When you are looking at spending $50+ on a book you should be able to see the whole thing, just like you could do at a real bookstore.  There should be no fear since all that is presented is a low res version.

Posted by
glenlan
Nov 22, 2007 1:48pm PDT
glenlan

Thank you Michal but how do I create a pdf of my entire book ?

I don’t find the contents link.

Thank you,

Omalingue

Posted by
omalingue
Nov 29, 2007 7:38am PDT
omalingue

Can I get a PDF copy of my book?

You sure can create a PDF of your book. It’s a great way to print and proof it. Keep in mind that your PDF won’t include your book’s cover and it’ll have a Blurb watermark that appears over the pages, but don’t let that stop you. Here’s how to get your PDF:

Mac
Blurb BookSmart itself doesn’t have an “Export to PDF” function. If you’re running BookSmart on a Mac, select Print from the File menu, and then choose Adobe PDF as your printer. Please know that if you’re making a huge book, this can take a while.

PC
To do the same on a PC, you’d have to purchase the Adobe Acrobat application or download a similar utility, such as CutePDF which you can download for free.
If you want to save or transfer a copy of your book file, creating a PDF isn’t the way to go. Read this blog post to learn how to export your book file.

Copied from here.

Posted by
Michal
Nov 29, 2007 8:01am PDT
Michal

When I try to print my book to a PDF using CutePDF, BookSmart crashes. Happened several times. Anyone else experience that problem?

Bob 

Posted by
forgingahead
Nov 30, 2007 6:13am PDT
forgingahead

I’ve used CutePDF to make BookSmart PDFs several times, and its always worked fine. What OS are you using?

Posted by
AbeFroman
Nov 30, 2007 6:47pm PDT
AbeFroman

I know this topic has been kicking around. But both as an Blurb author and a customer, I am frustrated that entire books cannot be previewed. Why wouldn’t an author want this? When you shop at a bookstore, you can see the entire book.

I’ve seen some Blurb books I’m interested in buying, but I want to see the entire book before I order. What if I buy a book and don’t like the pages that I wasn’t able to preview. Am I allowed to return the book? What’s Blurb’s policy on this? If Blurb doesn’t accept returns in this case, then customers are buying blind.

I can understand if you’ve published a story or book of poems or recipes that you don’t want people to read online for free; if they can read it for free, why buy a copy? But photo/art books really should be seen in their entirety. You wouldn’t show a section of a painting on an online gallery and say, "If you like this bit, wait til you see the rest"...and expect someone to make a no-return purchase.

I think this should be the author’s call. I hope Blurb will make whole-book previews an option soon.

Posted by
Bricker
Nov 30, 2007 8:44pm PDT
Bricker

I am using Windows XP SP 2. Book Smart crashes immediately after I tell CutePDF where to save the file.

Posted by
forgingahead
Dec 2, 2007 5:28pm PDT
forgingahead

I’ve used both Windows XP and Vista with Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and 6.0 to try and make a PDF and both have crashed the Book Smart software. I would like to be able to proof my book in PDF format but to date have been unable to get this option to work. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks 

Posted by
randyknauf
Dec 18, 2007 7:11am PDT
randyknauf

randyknauf –

Sounds like there might be a configuration issue on your machine. I’ve been able to successfully produce BookSmart-based PDFs on both XP and Vista.

Are you using BookSmart 1.9.2? I would try installing that first, as the latest version offers greater local "printing" support. If that doesn’t work, please contact Technical Support.  

Posted by
JackLyon
Dec 18, 2007 3:23pm PDT
JackLyon

I too would love to preview something other than the first 15 pages. I just published a book (here) and would love to preview almost anything except this section. No big deal in this case, because the book has no commerical potential anyway (it’s a souvenir for passengers on a recent cruise), but for future projects it might be nice to start the preview on page X and continue for Y pages (with X and Y set by the book producer).

Posted by
jworam
Dec 25, 2007 10:29am PDT
jworam

I’ve got Vista, latest version of CurePDF and latest version of Booksmart and my booksmart crashes when I try to print all my pages with CutePDF

Posted by
yozefff
Mar 17, 2008 7:49pm PDT
yozefff

I tried that with cutePDF let it run all night and the next morning NOTHING! It didt print to pdf.

Posted by
Vercingtorix
Apr 1, 2008 9:15am PDT
Vercingtorix