Web Features

I love this web site too, but...

...being a European blurbarian, how long do I have to wait before having some "Set Your Price" program active here?

I believe I’m not the only one that needs this feature outside the U.S. and is delaying the upload of some new public book waiting for this program and finally start to make some extra-money, like every U.S. Blurb user has the opportunity to do.

So, come on Blurb!!, I’m sure that there’s more than a solution to make European, and in general non-US people, more happy and active in this great community,  "Set The Price", sell the books and get the money .

Why not something based on PayPal? Friends, any other idea? 

Happy to know that now you also print the books in Europe… now it’s time for the next step! 

brunix.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
brunix
Aug 2, 2007 10:05am PDT
brunix

Brunix –  

You probably know better than I do that there is nothing standard about the EU, so we must research the reporting of earnings on a per country basis. In addition, we need to structure the appropriate banking relationship to compensate participants in their preferred currency (USD, GBP, EUR).

Once all is resolved, we will extend Set Your Price to users outside the U.S. Believe me when I say that this is something I am actively looking into. We’ll be sure to announce this in the blog and the Forums once this service is extended.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 2, 2007 10:53am PDT
norcaljhawk

I appreciate that everyone is looking in to this and doing their best to resolve it as soon as possible. I think my gripe is more along the lines of your site is VERY US biased and you have to go looking for the information three pages deep before finding out that only US residents are able to set prices.

I understand that things take time to sort. In the meantime you could ease your inbox a little by making it more obvious during sign-up that at the moment we can’t offer you the set your price option – watch this space.

I think that would settle a lot of minds as the people complaining are all the poor folk who have just spent weeks putting together a book that they thought they could sell. If they had been warned it will be a while then they wouldn’t be so irate. 

If this box was worded differently to say US RESIDENTS SET PRICE (Non US option coming soon) then that would solve a lot of problems.

Worth the html hassle?  

Posted by
SusanCollins
Oct 3, 2007 2:17am PDT
SusanCollins

Damn – you can’t preview OR edit these entries?

Try that.  

Posted by
SusanCollins
Oct 3, 2007 2:21am PDT
SusanCollins

Hey Susan –

That’s some interesting feedback. On the very first page of the SYP sign up process, (the page that the promo you’re showing links to) we state right at the top of the page: 

"Currently, this program is only available in the U.S…"
http://www.blurb.com/my/seller/info 

Obviously, we want to make this information as clear as possible, so your feedback is very helpful. 

Thanks,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 16, 2007 6:12pm PDT
JackLyon

Please dont forget australia when you’re extending the "Set the price" service. I’d rather not use a competitors website to publish my books, because your tools are so much better.

Posted by
hiredgoon
Oct 17, 2007 6:47am PDT
hiredgoon

For now, since you cannot handle the taxes issue internationally, can’t you just offer the option of paying the income in blurb books?

For example, let’s say I prepare a magazine that costs 20$ to print and I decide to charge $25. Each 4 magazine copies sold just send me a free copy… isn’t that easy and simple? Most of the Blurb authors could use a few free copies of their books / magazines anyways, maybe for promotion or even just for gifts… isn’t it much simpler this way since you are not really paying anyone income but just giving free stuff away? Works like a discounts…

Think about it :-) 

Posted by
gallarotti
Nov 21, 2007 1:12pm PDT
gallarotti