Web Features

iPad iBooks - Book Title Issue

My books are brilliant on the iPad, beyond expectations.

However, when I load them into iBooks. they are listed as “Untitled”.

Is there any way to redress this?

Where are the book names and author’s names being “uplifted” from? Is there a way to place them in the file that does not depend on placing them on the front cover? (assuming that is where they are being sourced from…)

I have not used the book name and author’s name on the cover of my books as I rely on the graphic I create as the book cover to provide these, as the Blurb conversion to iPad format cannot reproduce the custom fonts being used in the title graphics.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
EXO
Dec 28, 2011 12:22am PDT
EXO

Blurb, are you looking into this issue? Can you reply to this topic please?

Despite the title and author being filled in on the books page within the Blurb site, if you did not fill in the fields on the front cover when creating the book, the downloaded books say "untitled" when viewed in iBooks. 

I wish to start selling ebooks asap. I sell quite a few paper ones and I expect to sell even more ebooks. But at the moment that is not possible as these look really poor once downloaded. Surely it is much more senisble to gather the title and author data from the Blurb page?

Real shame if not as anyone who has created their own custom coverwill either not be able to sell ebooks or they will look shoddy. Missed opportunities for sales for both Blurb users and Blurb for something so simple. 

Posted by
escher
Jan 13, 2012 1:49am PDT
escher

Escher, what you say is a good idea, the title and author fields should be inside, on the Blurb Page – perhaps where an ISBN Information box might normally be placed.

I have found a workaround, though it is only temporary – on the covers, I have reduced the font size in the name/details etc fields to an extra tiny one point, and have then made their colors identical to the background graphic against which they appear. Or rather, no longer appear.

The tiny font will then be picked up in the iPad title without difficulty.

This requires a re-do of your front and rear covers so that you can use your font of choice but the overall effect works:

example: http://assets0.blurb.com/images/uploads/catalog/60/180560/3124846-051972605ba292dde0436ca2ed91a781.jpg?20120116223932

preview at: http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2875579

Posted by
EXO
Jan 16, 2012 11:17pm PDT
EXO

Thanks Exo, unfortunately your work around involves having to create new copies, purchasing new copies and then either having two versions of the same book online or cancel the old one and you will lose positive reviews and comments and have to update badges, links, bookshow previews the whole shebang.

I sell quite a few paper copies of my books and I want to be able to sell all the formats from the one page, marketing blurb books is hard enough and regularly customers of mine complain how complicated it can be to get through to where they want to to buy a book, this will only make it worse. I have raised a ticket with Blurb, it has to be an easy fix to let us choose where the title and author information is sourced from, after all it is all there on the order page before you download an ebook. I am sure it is a bit of an oversight on Blurb’s part a tiny bit of user beta testing would have picked this up immediately.

Posted by
escher
Jan 19, 2012 3:03am PDT
escher

Escher,
You are entirely correct. All I have is a temporary work-around, which is " CLOSE, BUT “NO CIGAR!”
Life sure is tough when all we are are beta testers, eh? There is so much room for improvement!

Posted by
EXO
Feb 4, 2012 10:17am PDT
EXO