Web Features

Locked Discount Coupons?

I am creating a book that has art contributed by several artists. I’d like to offer these people the book at a price lower than the price I intend for the general public. I’m wondering how I can do this:

1) Does the bookstore feature promotion codes that I can generate and send to the artists?
<del>or</del>
2) Can I set the book to have two different prices, one for the public, and one for “those with the magic URL”?
<del>or</del>
3) Should I upload the book twice – once for the public, and once that isn’t public. I’m assuming here that a book not set public can still be bought by people if I give them the URL or some other form of access. Is this true?
<del>or</del>
4) Or is there just no way to do this with the site and I’ll have to either buy them myself and ship ‘em (ick), or refund them the money?

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Nov 17, 2007 4:32pm PDT
MtnViewMark

We currently do not have a way for authors to create coupons. However, there is a solution that you’ve already alluded two. Basically, you’ll need two versions of your book – one public with your marked up price and one private that’s only available to those that contributed to your book. 

To create two versions of the book, you’ll simply need to upload it twice (start the upload process by selecting "Order Book" in BookSmart). Then, go to your "recently uploaded books" area, and then the Book Detail of each book. To avoid confusion, you may want to give both books slightly different names by choosing "edit" in the Summary area.

Before either book is available to others, you’ll first need to purchase a copy yourself (which is unfortunate in this particular case, but is how the ecommerce system has been developed for other reasons).

Finally, once your private book is ready, you’ll need to "announce" it to all your contributors – this will give them a special link via email that will allow them to access the private book. To do this, go to the private book’s detail page and select  the "Announce" icon found right under the picture of your book’s cover.

Hope that helps,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Nov 19, 2007 7:00pm PDT
JackLyon

Really? Blurb STILL hasn’t created the capability to offer buyers discounts? Really? How long are they going to wait?

Posted by
HoltWebb
Sep 7, 2010 4:23pm PDT
HoltWebb

I just got the answer to my own question: "How long is Blurb going to wait before they offer authors the ability to create their own discounts and coupons?"

The answer: Forever.

Blurb has no plans to offer this convenience. It’s a shame, too, because so many other online order systems have this ability. Smugmug.com, where I sell my photographic prints, offers discounts. Spreadshirt.com, where I order my custom t-shirts, offers discounts. But Blurb doesn’t. Welcome to the Stone Age.

Posted by
HoltWebb
Sep 7, 2010 6:13pm PDT
HoltWebb

@font-face { font-family: “Cambria”; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: “Times New Roman”; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

I agree Holtwebb, Blurb is really pushing people away to use other book companies. My web site is done through Zenfolio and they have hooked up with PhotoBucket to sell online prints and you can make your own coupons for people who want to buy in bulk. Wish Blurb would listen to their clients and catch up to this century.

Posted by
Outsideimage
Oct 31, 2010 4:55pm PDT
Outsideimage