Web Features

Suggestion regarding book metrics and sales

In a few words: Google analytics & amazon marketplace features for blurb books, please.

In a few more words:
I looked through the forums, found no current topic discussing this issue. So here goes.

Views: It would be great to to have a google analytics style set-up for book metrics and sales. I would be interested to know where all the book views come from (especially since mine is a tri-lingual edition in German, English and Spanish), and where the sales go to.

Sales: I’m not interested in buyers’ contact details, but I’d be interested to know out of which country it was bought.

Plus: Amazon allows me to contact sellers and buyers through their platform. It would be great if I could send buyers one messag, without blurb revealing their identity to me. Just a "thank you" or "please leave a comment" or anything like that.

Anyone?

Thanks, Tommi

PS: I’m extremely happy with your service so far, super extremely happy with the quality of the books & Überhappy with delivery times. Thank you!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tbrem
Jan 3, 2012 3:12pm PDT
tbrem

I’m very happy here too. I just wish that someone would purchase some of my books instead of just viewing them. Like most of other authors I have dreams of sharing my art with the world. I had to lower my book prices so that it would be more affordable. I’m just hoping that this will generate more sales. It shows on the metrics that thousands have visited my store. Does anyone have this going on too? Thanks. Norma Padro

Posted by
npadro
Feb 15, 2012 11:16am PDT
npadro

This is a really diffcult post. So apologies for what follows. 

Having looked at your books I really can’t see anything in those books that would tempt me to make a purchase. The problem isn’t with the books, it is just that they don’t tick any of the boxes that would  make me want to buy one.

So assuming the problem is with me, rather than with your books, we need to think why aren’t they selling.

What have you done to market your books? Putting them in the Blurb BookStore isn’t going to generate sales. I tend to think of the Blurb bookstore as an eclectic book shop down a side street off the main drag. Nobody is going to stumble into the bookstore and buy a book (or very few). There has to be something that tempts them to go down that side street and enter the book store.

To make that  happen there needs to be some marketing of your book to potential customers. Who are you aiming the books at? What have you done that would make that potential audience aware that your books exist? Have you identified potential markets? Have you targetted those markets with e-mail, blogs, adverts to make them aware of your book?

Can I suggest that you make a search of the forums for "marketing" and study what others have done to promote their books.

Again, it isn’t necessarily a comment on your books saleability, but more a suggestion that you need to target your marketing efforts at more explicit potential customers than hoping that people browsing the blurb Bookstore will jump in and buy one.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 15, 2012 2:41pm PDT
tfrankland

Going back to the OP, I agree there could be more useful data provided by Blurb about our visitors and buyers.

For instance, I sold one of my books the other week! Fantastic. But I didn’t receive any notification from Blurb to say this had happened.

Also, I have no idea who bought my book or why. Surely as part of the transaction there could be an option for the buyer to tick like ‘share my details with the author’ so I could add them to a mailing list, or (like the anonymous Amazon system mentioned by the OP) a way of contacting them to ask for their feedback about my book and the Blurb service.

Like the second poster, I am mystified how it is that so many people continue to preview my books, according to the stats provided. Yes, I have mentioned them on my blog, but that was months ago. Also, I don’t know about other people on here, but I rarely browse Blurb for books (it’s clearly not designed for that). I wonder how many hits come from real people and how many are searchbots?

Posted by
jayhawk2000
Mar 5, 2012 3:48pm PDT
jayhawk2000

Just wanted to say I’m in agreement with the original post and jayhawk2000, as well. A response from Blurb would be nice. Even to say, “Hey we’re working on it.” or “Not something we want to get into at this time.” Whatever it is.

Cheers.

Posted by
mikekircher
Jan 15, 2013 4:58pm PDT
mikekircher

probably my books are not appetizing, too… people just looking but no any sales.
maybe they just don’t like my works or maybe my books are just bad. don’t know..
:)

Posted by
Bluesrose
Mar 9, 2013 5:31am PDT
Bluesrose

..and as I now see even all comments are left.. what happen?

Posted by
Bluesrose
Mar 9, 2013 8:03am PDT
Bluesrose

I agree with the same problem. My first novel was published here on Blurb. a few weeks ago. But I have Marketed all over and then some.. Hits are coming in so it kinda feels weird as I took 5 years to write my novel on true life experiences of a single mom.

Posted by
dancer2in1
May 5, 2013 8:39am PDT
dancer2in1

As Tony said , ask yourself why would I buy that book . We all have this idea of being great authors and selling loads via Blurb , but the reality is that this is a very expensive way to buy books . Why spend £50 ona  novel on Blurb when you could buy a really good novel for $10 in your local supermaket . So your book has to something incredibly special or very niche (but with a reasonable potential fanbase)  to stand a chance of a sale

Every blog post I write has a link to to my bookstore and either a badge or a preview . I’ve gathered lots of facebook friends , joined facebook groups and spread links to individual  books or my bookstore . I written magazine articles with links to Blurb , I tweet about them , regularly

This month I’ve sold 5 books so far including an eBook . You have to work very very hard at promoting the book 

Posted by
Martincreese
Sep 11, 2013 12:53pm PDT
Martincreese