Web Features

Please fix your website

The "Next" button in the bookstore doesn’t always do what it should. Often it will take you to an entirely random page, sometimes it takes you back several pages, sometimes it takes you to the last page (at first I couldn’t understand why so many of the books were about things in the year 2006).

Please fix this, Blurb webmaster. It might explain why after a few weeks the number of my views my books get drops dramatically.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Maharg
Jan 11, 2013 3:47pm PDT
Maharg

The site was down for maintenance recently. Aha, I thought, this little problem might be fixed. Alas, no. I hope it hasn’t been given a nil priority, as I really would like people to be able to look at my books. It’s clearly been happening for a while … http://forums.blurb.com/forums/6/topics/13770

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 21, 2013 7:24pm PDT
Maharg

If you look at the Community Guidelines (under the HELP menu on the right) you’ll see that the forums have been put in place for users to help each other with ideas, problems, advice, etc.  Though Blurb staff do join in from time to time it is not an effective route for raising issues with them. If you wish to report this to Blurb go to Customer Support under the How Tos menu above then select the Contact Support tab.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 22, 2013 1:06am PDT
tfrankland

Thank you Tony. I did that on January 11 also, and was told that it would be passed on to the web people. You, Tony, would be more supportive if you confirmed what I’m saying. Perhaps then the gurus at Blurb would be more likely to do something. Until a few months ago I was getting between 500 and 1500 views a week, then suddenly it became almost zero. I’m not losing sleep over it, but it would be nice if Blurb was a little more responsive.

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 22, 2013 4:16pm PDT
Maharg

I would if I could. I look at the just published books a few times a week, sometimes out of curiosity sometimes looking for design ideas and I have not had the problems with the "Next" button that you are having.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 23, 2013 1:37am PDT
tfrankland

Now try selecting "travel" books and see if it happens. I think you’ll find that it behaves perfectly 80% of the time, but when you least expect it, it will take you to the first page, last page, back a page, back several pages, etc. I must admit, I didn’t try it in other sections. The fault happens on both Internet Explorer and Firefox. If you select "Just published" it works fine.

While we’re at it, here’s another little curiosity that’s been around for a year now. Whether it’s Facebook’s fault or Blurb’s, it still looks rather unprofessional, yes?

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/6/topics/13320

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/6/topics/12841

(At least on this occasion, there was a response from Blurb staff.)

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 23, 2013 11:28am PDT
Maharg

Having done a bit more sleuthing, I notice that the problem occurs in all categories with large numbers of books. In small categories, such as "Romance" or "Computers and Internet" or "Just published" there is no problem. It would appear that something in the code isn’t coping with large numbers. I don’t know what the threshold is, and I don’t have time to find out.

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 23, 2013 12:16pm PDT
Maharg

Oh, and I’ve tried it on a second computer, so I really can’t imagine the problem is my end.

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 23, 2013 12:18pm PDT
Maharg