Web Features

Any conflict or advice if I want to take my Blurb-designed book to another publisher?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but, here goes.

I’ve done one book with Blurb, but it’s not up for sale yet in the bookstore as I’m waiting on the "final" copy to be shipped to me. In the meantime I will edit it one last time and then plan on announcing it for sale publicly in the Blurb store.

I want to send a PDF manuscript of my book to a local state-run publisher. I am worried that they will "find out" about it already being "published" with Blurb and wont’ accept it. Then again, everything I’ve read and as far as I can tell, I am under no contract with Blurb and that I own outright my book contents (just can’t do anything with the software or Blurb’s logo, etc.).

Is this accurate?

Part of me thinks of "coming clean" with the state publisher (they are pretty big, and might reject me anyway) and tell them I am "self-publlishing" online….or should I not? OR…should I perhaps send them the PDF and NOT do my book here? I already have it all together, it’s 80 pages, and several people that are waiting for it to be available.

I just worry that if I tell them that I’ve published it here, they will turn me down and/or think I am under some sort of contract…which I am not, correct?

When someone gets published, are they normally under contract like that? Like you can’t publish elsewhere? If so, why isn’t Blurb like that??

Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
BlackDoll
Apr 16, 2008 8:19am PDT
BlackDoll

If you generate the PDF via the Blurb software, every page will have a Blurb blurb on it.

Posted by
Michal
Apr 16, 2008 9:31am PDT
Michal

BlackDoll,

I will try my best to answer your question. In two words, probably not. If you make a book through BookSmart app, then it is only good for Blurb printing in/by itself.

If you really want to create your “own” customized book design other than Blurb, there are pretty plenty of self-publishers out there. If you have Adobe InDesign CS3, Adobe Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Illustrator CS3, you could create your own customized book design on your own. Of course, you might want to check with one of those self-publishing companies that offers your own customized book design project, they can also offer a pointers on book sizes and stuff and the uploading procedure. Because it is different from self-publishing company “A” to “B” and “C”.

Some offers PDF upload procedure and they can print PDF straight to the printers. Some only offers their own software development (similar to Blurb BookSmart) to do the book-making project.

Perhaps someone else, or hopefully Blurb Staff chime in and offer some help better than I do. If you need a response from Blurb about some clarification, perhaps that you want to submit email web support submission for their assistance.

Good luck.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Apr 16, 2008 9:38am PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks!

I was planning on doing a PDF screen shot just to send it to the publisher. I have tried Booksmart’s Save to PDF and it always fails on me and takes about 30 minutes before failing. So I’d just do a page-by-page screen shot of the pages they would would to see (likely the first 20 or so). I have done this before and it’s very simple.

I do have Photoshop CS3. But I hadn’t thought about the manner in which I would create the copy they would print.

Thanks again!

Posted by
BlackDoll
Apr 16, 2008 9:42am PDT
BlackDoll

Hey BlackDoll – This is an interesting question. You’re right in that we don’t "own" your book content in any way. Its yours, and you can do whatever you want with it.

It should be noted that taking a screenshot of each page of your book in BookSmart probably won’t produce the results you’re looking for since each image would only be 72dpi. That’s not high resolution enough for most printed books. 

Exporting to PDF is also fine, but as Michal pointed out, a Blurb watermark is added to each page. We’ve invested a great deal into BookSmart, but offer it for free to anyone that wants it. We insert the watermark to show that the book was created and designed in BookSmart. 

Obviously, you should feel free to use any of your content that you’ve previously put in a Blurb book with any another printer. But, Brian is correct that you’re probably going to need to rebuild the book from scratch using a page layout or image editing tool.

Posted by
JackLyon
Apr 16, 2008 12:11pm PDT
JackLyon

THanks JackLyon!

I realize I will have to re-do the whole if they decide to go forward with the publishing. In which case I’ll have to work with them and create something in a proper format, resoultion, etc.

For the manuscript submission though, I am thinking that a screenshot printout might be ok, I’ll just need to print a sample first. If not I can print straight from Booksmart right? Or does that too give a watermark? (not doing a PDF from booksmart, just printing it outriight). Thanks!

Posted by
BlackDoll
Apr 17, 2008 5:52am PDT
BlackDoll

A local print of your book through BookSmart will also have the watermark. The purpose for the local printing is to provide a way to proof your book on paper, rather than on screen, before you publish.

Keep in mind that once you’ve ordered and received your Blurb book, you’ll have the cleanest, highest resolution "print out" of your book that you could hope for! 

Jack 

Posted by
JackLyon
Apr 17, 2008 9:54am PDT
JackLyon

Blackdoll,

Why not send them an actual copy of your book?  If they don’t already know about Blurb it’s not hard to fill them in and make it clear that you’re under no contractual obligation to Blurb.  I would think a submission in book form would be the best possible way of showing off what you’ve done. 

Posted by
dagree
Apr 17, 2008 11:52am PDT
dagree

.......or just take your Blurb book and scan 20 pages or so at the resolution you prefer- put it on a cd and send it to them. Present it as a ‘proposed layout’ only- publishers like to shape and design a book according their reading of the market.

Posted by
cantudoit2
Apr 30, 2008 1:55pm PDT
cantudoit2

I have hated having the watermark on my book, for the only reason that it makes it hard to post a digital copy on a DVD.  Small, but important annoyance.  The one solution I found is using Adobe Illustrator (CS3 on my Mac) which allows you to remove it.  I think Blurb.com does an EXCELLENT job in print quality and software strength.  Trying to take a copy to another printer to save a few bucks is not only stupide with how seamless Blurb has made it, but rather unethical in my opinion as their software was built for publishing with them.  If you want ot publish with someone else, use MS Publisher or some Adobe products.

That being said, there is a huge need for a viable backup solution which is why I saved a high-res PDF and have removed my watermarks.  In these tough financial times (even though Blurb has excellent PEG backing) you never know who will fail next… and I want my book!

Posted by
jmicholscott
Feb 16, 2009 9:19pm PDT
jmicholscott