Web Features

Locked Buy with premium paper option for buyers

At the moment I have noticed that you can either sell your books with premium paper or without.

As the creator we have the choice to buy with or without premium paper, couldn’t this option be available for buyers also?

Posted by
spida
Dec 24, 2008 2:47pm PDT
spida

I’d actually, make an addendum and phrase "couldn’t" to "shouldn’t". I’m sure it possible for it to be done, but the better idea is to allow users to make that distinction on their own.

For example, the book I just did is profit to charity – 100% of the profits go to a charity, the mark up is 10% from the base price. Obviously, the base price changes based on a few things, paper material being one of them. So, in order to make the book more appealing, I think that Burb SHOULD give buyers the option, or at the VERY least, allow the author to permit the buyer that option. 

Posted by
ejronin
Dec 29, 2008 2:33pm PDT
ejronin

Actually, we leave that decision entirely up to the author of the book. In the "Edit Book Settings" section of your Book Detail page, you can decide to sell your book with Standard Paper or Premium Paper.

Most authors are very particular about exactly what they’re selling (which is why we also allow authors to control what cover types are available, whether their book is invite-only, exactly how much they want to charge for their book, etc.).

Posted by
JackLyon
Dec 29, 2008 7:36pm PDT
JackLyon

What I am saying is that some of customer base would be Photographers or even others who wouldn’t mind paying a bit extra for premium paper, but others are not fussed and would opt for the cheapest option. So to give the option of either to buyers I would need to upload the book twice and make one for sale with premium paper and one without.

Now this would not only take up space on your server, but also change statistics on sales of that one book. So wouldn’t it be easier just to have a tick option so the potential buyer can check prices for premium paper and buy with or without?

Posted by
spida
Dec 31, 2008 8:36am PDT
spida

Most of the authors we talked to were only interested in selling their book to customers in Standard OR Premium Paper—but not both. Most felt that this was an artistic choice on their part, and didn’t want to cause confusion their customers during the purchasing process by requiring them to make a choice on something they may not understand and/or have an opinion on.

But, just as some authors allow their customers to pick which cover type they want, I could see wanting to give a customer the choice on paper as well.

Thanks for the suggestion – we’ll look into it.

Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Jan 2, 2009 5:49pm PDT
JackLyon

I must say I find Blurb’s response (jackLyon) to this issue is off target.  Blurb should give authors the option to restrict the paper type, but if the auther doesn’t care, then they should give the buyer the option to select the paper type.  pretty simple code change in my mind.

Posted by
Rbkelly
Mar 15, 2009 1:23pm PDT
Rbkelly

Actually, I don’t want buyers to be able to choose standard paper. I want the books to only be available on premium paper. The books are photo books, and quality comes first. I think I ought to be able to designate premium paper only, with no option presented to the buyer.

Posted by
bomoore
Apr 17, 2009 8:24am PDT
bomoore

I ordered a photo book in both premium and standard papers and frankly couldnt tell the difference. Dont think the extra cost for premium is worth it. Both copies were great by the way.

Posted by
mikeklein
Aug 31, 2009 3:08am PDT
mikeklein