Web Features

Advertising/marketing efforts -- tracking

Just a suggestion for the Blurb crew, something that I think would help those of us who want to sell photo books to the public to be more effective:

Could there be a way to ask buyers how they heard about the book during the checkout process?

Authors who use multiple advertising/marketing approaches would love to be able to track which of those efforts drive the most purchases so that they can increase spending on those efforts that work best and reduce spending on efforts that don’t work well.

I would love to eventually see a pick list that authors could populate themselves with descriptions of their various advertising efforts and then receive that info in a report.

A simpler way to start would just be to add a form field that invites buyers to fill in a description of how they heard about the book with that data then being emailed to the author.

Please consider adding some device in the near future—that kind of marketing data could really help authors to market intelligently and effectively, which is good for everyone involved.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dc2141
Mar 11, 2009 9:00am PDT
dc2141

Excellent idea!!

Posted by
dwinge
Mar 27, 2009 10:15am PDT
dwinge

Perhaps that Blurb team should look into this consideration by incorporating individual Bookmaker’s Google Analytics script code into Blurbarian’s Account.

Google Analytics works out very nicely for me. I think it would be wonderful way to keep track of ads/marketing goals and conversion rate.

Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blubarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 27, 2009 7:48pm PDT
brianbonitz

Just want to reiterate this idea: Blurb, please add a mechanism to the checkout process that asks buyers how they found the book they’re purchasing, possibly through a pick list.

Ideally, us Blurbarians with books for sale could populate the pick list with the different advertising/promotional methods that we’re using.

If nothing else, tho, a few generic choices would also work, such as: Browsing Blurb.com, Online Advertising, Word of Mouth, Print Advertising, and Other.

This kind of information would be invaluable to those of us who want to make wisest use of our promotional dollars. Please consider it. Thanks,

~Chris

Posted by
dc2141
Mar 22, 2010 11:04am PDT
dc2141

I see this idea was posted 2.5 years ago and has received comments by a few different people. I, too, am interested in seeing where my buyers are coming from so that I know where to concentrate my marketing efforts.

If we can increase our sales with this info, not only do we win, but so does Blurb with additional sales. Or maybe Blurb doesn’t need additional sales?

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 7, 2011 5:52am PDT
maderemark

An old thread, but a worthy and important one. Marketing and distribution are the challenges facing e-books. Even the format issue isn’t as daunting as being able to get the word out and let the audience that is interested in your work find it. I come from a traditional publishing background but truly enjoy the freedom offered from e-book publishing, as well as the ability to get work out and avoid the prohibitive cost of small numbers publishing. e-books offer the ability to actually get a decent amount of work out the door at a price that a general consumer can support vs. speciality pricing for a small number of people (which is fine is that’s what you want to do). But marketing is the most difficult and convoluted task at this time.

Posted by
markfearing
Nov 2, 2011 11:50am PDT
markfearing

Hello everyone. I tend to have thousands of visitors coming in to check my site, but no one is purchasing any of my books. I’m thinking if it’s so difficult for anyone to purchase some of my books it must be really hard to answer questions before they check out. I would just leave things as simple as a check out part. After all I would like it if customers return to my site. :-)

Posted by
npadro
Nov 15, 2011 5:18pm PDT
npadro