Web Features

Weekly page visits skyrocket?

Hi,

All of a sudden this week, my book’s weekly page visits according to the metrics page have quintupled compared to the highest previous record, and the week is only on its second day. Should I be happy or is this happening to other people? I haven’t done anything new lately to promote my book so I’m wondering if this is a glitch of some sort.

Brian

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
OakDragon
Apr 15, 2009 11:30pm PDT
OakDragon

must be a glitch.. mine too the last two days..

Posted by
nikant
Apr 15, 2009 11:35pm PDT
nikant

Me too. At least I know now it’s not real.   :-(

P

Posted by
peteshep
Apr 15, 2009 11:51pm PDT
peteshep

I really wish you hadn’t told me that

When I saw my visits surge I was really chuffed and went back through my posts to try and see which one might have prompted people to go look at my books.

Of course it could just be that we four are brilliant book designers and the word has spread?

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 16, 2009 12:56am PDT
tfrankland

yeah Tony.. :)

I guess our talent is finally known worldwide :P :p

Posted by
nikant
Apr 16, 2009 1:29am PDT
nikant

Mine too! I have been posting about my book and therefore Blurb everywhere on the internet and thought it must be the pay off from all my hard work. Now I cant tell, but it would be wonderful it the metrics were indeed correct :-)

Funny enough I had been planning to post about the metrics. I had looked back on old posts and it was mentioned last year that the staff were considering a way for us to see where the leads came from. I think this would be a great bonus when testing various online marketing avenues.

Posted by
wyrm
Apr 16, 2009 3:04am PDT
wyrm

Hi Blurbarian friends,

I think it is possible a glitch or something, it is too early to determine what is going on. Let’s see what happens next week or for rest of the month (four weeks) – that is my conservative perspective.

We still don’t know why or how the surge is happening all the sudden the past few days. It would be nice if a staff from Blurb chime in and let us know…

The meteric we are seeing is purely simple – very declassed version of Google Analytics, where Analytics give me a better understanding where the Internet visitors visit my sites, where they come from, how did they find my site, what kind browser they used, what OS, and what country they visit. I don’t see any of that information in my Blurb mertics.

Best, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Apr 16, 2009 12:15pm PDT
brianbonitz

My first clue that it wasn’t real is that, with over 400 views for the week so far, there were no new sales—surely someone in that many would want to buy a book!  I’d also love to hear from someone at Blurb about this—one problem it is causing for me is that because the bar for this week is so high, it has reduced the previous week’s bars to barely visible.  Now for several weeks, until this week works its way off the chart, I’ll have to look at the details for each week in order to track views, instead of just glancing at the chart and moving on.  If it’s really an anomaly (which it sounds like it is, unfortunately) maybe the entire week could just be removed from the chart.

Posted by
photomarg
Apr 17, 2009 10:26am PDT
photomarg

Just to say, "ME TOO" I knew it was too good to be true! It had my heart rate up, I was trying to be calm and wait till the week was over and thinking the sales was show up. Ha Ha He He. So it made us all laugh a little, so we DID get something out of it after all.

Klong1234

Posted by
klong1234
Apr 18, 2009 3:27pm PDT
klong1234

Me too!  Have to admit that I was enjoying the sudden popularity.

Posted by
gordonsbuck
Apr 19, 2009 11:59am PDT
gordonsbuck

Suddenly I had 960 views for the week – and no sales. I emailed blurb because it looked like a mistake, but they said the numbers are accurate. Obviously not—-a fluke, a glitch, a something. I wish they’d send out a notification when something is kookoo. That would be polite, n’est-ce-pas?

Posted by
bomoore
Apr 22, 2009 8:11am PDT
bomoore

Maybe others received the same information but I—finally—got the following answer to my query to Blurb customer support about this issue:    " I have received word that in the process of testing a new search technology which causes some problems."

Not the clearest answer in the world, but at least they figured out something was wrong.   It seems to have been fixed.  Now if I could just tell what the traffic is for current weeks . . . (it’s so miniscule compared to the wacky weeks it almost doesn’t show up on the graph). All good things must come to an end!

Posted by
photomarg
May 10, 2009 11:14pm PDT
photomarg

It would be nice if they could reset the metrics – my traffic also is hard to read at the moment. But it is the sales that count – that is nice and clear :-)

Posted by
wyrm
May 11, 2009 4:43am PDT
wyrm

In that case I must consider myself lucky since my page views are low but sales are OK :)

Posted by
deoxygen
Jun 30, 2009 8:29am PDT
deoxygen