Web Features

Locked Disappointed - Uploading revised version

I just received my first book.  As a whole I’m happy with it, but a few of the images were a little too close to the edge of the page.  It’s not enough to spend another 50 bucks (108 page hardcover) to reprint, but it’d be nice to be able to silently correct it in case it gets a sale in the future.

However, according to the FAQ, the only way to do that is to upload the new version (that’s fine) and then delete the older one (makes sense so far).  BUT, then I have to sell a copy within a certain time or the book is deleted.  

This isn’t cool.

Is there any alternatives or am I stuck with the broken book unless I fork over another lump of cash?  I can’t believe there’s no alternatives.

Posted by
ThunderRoad
Sep 13, 2009 3:41pm PDT
ThunderRoad

"BUT, then I have to sell a copy within a certain time or the book is deleted. This isn’t cool."

Each book you upload on Blurb is considered to be a new book. The website can’t tell the difference between a book you just made from scratch and a previously uploaded book that you re-edited in Booksmart. A new upload IS a new book.

And as you know, for each book you upload (each new book), at least one copy needs to be ordered within 15 days.

After designing and reviewing your book in Booksmart and after uploading your book to their website, you can turn on the book preview option and see your entire book before placing your order.

By uploading and ordering your book, you agreed to Blurb’s TERMS AND CONDITIONS which states the following: 

" … This means it’s your responsibility to review your book before you publish, and fix:

• Typos, grammar, unfinished text, or other text errors
  • Low-resolution images that may appear blurry in print
  • Design issues, including book format, organization, style, color, and page layout
  • Any other creative choices you made in Blurb BookSmart® you want to revisit"

You can read the entire return policy HERE.

There are no other alternative but you can still make the changes in Booksmart, upload the book to Blurb.com (which will be considered as an entirely new book) and use a Blurb Badge to advertise your new upload. This will allow you to advertise your book to potential clients without having to purchase a copy of the book yourself.

Hope this helps, good luck with your future book projects!

Sophie :)

Posted by
sophieadd
Sep 28, 2009 3:44pm PDT
sophieadd

Well done by the way… Interesting subject and beautiful art! :)

Posted by
sophieadd
Sep 28, 2009 3:48pm PDT
sophieadd

You can advertise your book to your clients without purchsing a copy as Sophie says, but you’d need one of them to buy a copy within the 15 days or it will still be deleted!

….Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 29, 2009 1:26am PDT
tfrankland

Correct, Tony :)

Posted by
sophieadd
Sep 29, 2009 7:12am PDT
sophieadd

There is another thread on this here http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/2971 which I added to, suggesting that Blurb implement a ‘replace book’  feature. I contacted Customer Services with the proposal and was told "This is a great idea. I will pass it around Blurb HQ and see how we might be able to act on your suggestion."So, perhaps something will happen?

Posted by
tomgardner
Nov 28, 2009 3:20am PDT
tomgardner

+1 for ‘replace book’ feature.

Posted by
mliubinskas
Jan 12, 2010 5:55pm PDT
mliubinskas

+2 also

Posted by
richardd1989
Jun 22, 2011 12:04pm PDT
richardd1989

I would like to have this possibility, too! The most annoying for me is that each time you upload what you’d like to be un “update”, you get a new URL, so you have to communicate or update the new URL everywhere you communicate…

Posted by
donotcompute
Aug 14, 2011 9:51am PDT
donotcompute

Me too, I’d love to be able to replace a book. Would be good to have your project under the ISBN number, just adding a revision date. This would make it a real choice for publishers working under different laws and regulations than the American ones, e.g. Germany, Switzerland.

Posted by
Herzglut
Oct 6, 2011 1:48am PDT
Herzglut