Web Features

How to know who buys your book

It seems odd that the only way you can keep tabs on who has bought your book is if you sign up for the "set your price" option. I am not in the USA so for me that is not even an option. I much prefer Blurb over Lulu but with this faclility Blurb really fails to deliver.  With Lulu I am emailed when a book is sold and it shows who has bought it. Surely this the first and foremost function any person selling books online would require?

Be cool if this function was created, sooner rather than later :-)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Jimbus
Oct 8, 2007 3:04pm PDT
Jimbus

Hey Jimbus –

Very good point – we currently don’t email Set Your Price users when a sale is made, but they can see sales information on their "dashboard." This is something we needed to provide these users at launch, so they could reconcile any profits earned, if they wanted to.

However, I agree this is data that should be available to any user with public books. We will definitely work on this (sooner rather than later) ;)

Thanks,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 8, 2007 6:19pm PDT
JackLyon

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to it being developed. Also, when do you think we will be able to upload hi res PDFs of our books if we want to design something more bespoke, or do you think it will always be through booksmart?

Cheers Jim 

Posted by
Jimbus
Oct 9, 2007 12:21am PDT
Jimbus

I completely agree that we should be able to monitor who is purchasing our book.  I would like to say thank you to my friends and family who buy, but I have no way of knowing unless they tell me. 

Posted by
animallover
Nov 8, 2007 10:02pm PDT
animallover

”... we should be able to monitor who is purchasing our book.”

Am I the only one who thinks this is creepy? If you sell a book at a book store, you don’t get the name and address of each person who buys it. I think there is long standing precedent that what a person choose to read, whether checked out from a library or bought in a store, should be their private information.

That said, I wholly understand the desire to thank people and keep in touch. Perhaps Blurb should implement this as an opt-in option for the buyer. I think if I buy I book, I should get to decide if I want the author, or anyone else for that matter, to know.

Posted by
MtnViewMark
Nov 17, 2007 4:24pm PDT
MtnViewMark

I agree with MtnViewMark.  Knowing the quantity of books sold is one thing. Sending out the buyer’s info to the seller is a bad idea.  Smacks of 1984.  If you want to know if your friends are buying your books ask them to let you know by way of personal email when they do.  If I thought my info would be forwarded to the seller/author, I wouldn’t buy.

Posted by
yonosey
Nov 17, 2007 4:39pm PDT
yonosey

Jim,

As for uploading high resolution PDF, I wish it is true with Blurb. IN a word, no, at the moment as I understand it. Only done through BookSmart application.

I would love to see high resolution PDF submission to Blurb, perhaps at a premium fee or that Blurb offering professional premium service for talented designers or photograhers where they can upload high resolution PDFs to be published through Blurb.

Perhaps that you want to file a suggestion feedback on the topic. I have pushed for this issue few times already. I don’t think Blurb would hear from quite few people asking for high resolution PDF submission, but if there are lot of frequently asking for this feature to be included, who knows some day.

We better start to bug Blub people and bother them and ask them to reconsider this. :)

Posted by
brianbonitz
Nov 17, 2007 8:15pm PDT
brianbonitz

You could offer the buyer the option at purchase time whether to inform the author who bought the book. That way friends/family could choose to send that personal info, while the buyer from general public could choose to remain anonymous.

Posted by
gymell
Jan 2, 2008 11:16am PDT
gymell

I have published two books through the University of Iowa Press and the only sales info I get is my yearly royalty check which indicates how many copies of each were sold over the calendar year. Bookstores don’t share the customer data bases as per names, et al, so to think  Blurb would do otherwise is really not realistic.

You get "metrics" which show how many people have hit your book and you get "order" data as per number of orders. Both of these functions provide a way of tracking your profits and an idea of yopur book’s "curb appeal" – obviiously, we all want LOTS of hits, because then the law of averages predict we should eventually begin making sales. 

Look through the "Best Sellers" category as a way to compare your work with what the market indicates as successful design and subject matter.

Posted by
Paticle
Jan 4, 2008 1:38pm PDT
Paticle

I would like to know how many books i’ve sold but i’m not going to raise my price because my book was for my family.  I was wondering if it was possible to ‘set your price’ to zero and then be able to see how many orders have sold.  If anyone knows whether that is possible I am really interested.  I don’t want to enroll and give my SSN if it’s not possible.  Thanks.

Posted by
asechtig
Jan 12, 2008 3:16pm PDT
asechtig