Web Features

Can some search engines find private books?

The screen where you specifiy whether a book is public or private seems a little vague to me.  The second section says "Enabling Book Preview means that you agree to our Terms and Conditions and understand your Book Preview content will be accessible to search engines.".  It doesn’t say explicitly that this doesn’t apply to "private" content.  I know that Google’s search engines are quite sophisticated and do get around many security walls.  And Google does offer copyrighted books and other content, despite ongoing legal threats from publishers.

So I’m wondering whether anyone has tried searching for a "private" book (on Google or other site).  And any guesses as to whether this could change in the future as search engines get more sophisticated and bolder?

- Chris

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cjmichael
Apr 22, 2010 11:01am PDT
cjmichael

I can find my public books using Google. An example is one of my Galapagos books, but unless I put the full title in quotes for the search I just get page after page of holiday and cruise companies advertising there Galapagos wares – I gave up after anout 20 pages of search results tyring to spot my book without the title in quotes.

I have tried the same approach with a number of my private books and none show up – but that is no guarantee yours won’t!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 22, 2010 1:25pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks, Tony!

Posted by
cjmichael
Apr 22, 2010 2:38pm PDT
cjmichael