Web Features

Locked Public comments, like it or not

When I began using Blurb, almost a year ago, I noticed that I could elect whether public comments could be added and displayed beneath my books. I chose not to allow them. But in recent weeks a Facebook comment panel has appeared beneath the book previews, and it would seem that we’re stuck with it. I noticed a comment beneath one of my book previews the other day. As it happened it was a positive comment, but if it had been negative, and in my opinion unjustified, there was nothing I could do about it, short of deleting the book from Blurb altogether. (I wouldn’t even be able to reply to the comment, as I’ve chosen not to have a Facebook account.)

What’s the point of electing not to allow comments, but having them anyway? I don’t know of any physical bookstores that allow customers to stick negative comments on their store displays.

I’m disappointed and rather puzzled by Blurb’s decision to do this.

Posted by
Maharg
Mar 28, 2011 3:06pm PDT
Maharg

Hi Maharg,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It was an oversight that has now been fixed. Now, if you opt out of book commenting, you opt out of bookstore and Facebook commenting as the way it was intended.

Again, thanks for feedback and your patience as we got this issue resolved.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Apr 8, 2011 3:41am PDT
kathybad

Thank you. You’ve restored my faith!

Posted by
Maharg
Apr 8, 2011 8:31pm PDT
Maharg

Those Facebook comments seem to be back! A mistake again, or is it deliberate this time?

Posted by
Maharg
Nov 27, 2011 2:06am PDT
Maharg

No response here, nor from my customer support query. Things ain’t what they used to be. Perhaps they’re just busy over Christmas ….

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 3, 2011 7:30pm PDT
Maharg

I’ve been told that the Facebook comments appear below every book, even if we’ve elected not to allow comments. That’s a shame. I was also told that as author of the book I can delete them if I want. Don’t I have to join Facebook to do this? Or did he mean that I could delete the whole book from Blurb’s bookstore? And do I have to monitor all my books on a regular basis to see whether any comments have been added?

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 5, 2011 10:05pm PDT
Maharg

I noticed the same thing. I tried to comment on the Morran Book Project and it said I had to login to Facebook first. I hate having to do things through Facebook, particularly since I am a Blurb member and this is the Blurb website.

Posted by
CallyCreates
Dec 6, 2011 5:39pm PDT
CallyCreates

The tech heads at Blurb must have been toiling long and hard, because those pesky Facebook comment panels are gone again. (At least until there’s another revamp of the website and someone stuffs up again …)

There’s still the "Like" buttons, but I can live with those. Just having done a random stroll through the bookstore, I notice that more than 90% of people allow comments anyway. So perhaps I’m paranoid. (And I’d only noticed one comment under one of my books, which happened to be extremely positive.)

Still, as Blurb offers us the right to be paranoid by electing whether to allow public comments, I will continue to be so.

Happy Christmas.

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 15, 2011 4:45pm PDT
Maharg

I still haven’t found how to remove comments left through Facebook. I don’t want to eliminate all public commenting, just a bunch of them that came from a friend who thought she was commenting on my personal site. The only thing I’ve found is a "report" option, but I don’t want to report my friend — I just want to remove her comments. Any help?

Posted by
beesong
Jan 2, 2012 7:27pm PDT
beesong

Hi beesong,

The Facebook commenting feature does not currently allow deleting of posts. We are looking into implementing this option should the Facebook commenting  plug-in support this.

To hide all posts modify your commenting options from your account info page.

Craig

Posted by
csm
Jan 3, 2012 10:01am PDT
csm Icon_staff