Ordering and Shipping

Bookstores want my blurb book. How can I make that happen?

Bookstores want about 40 percent off the cover price to make a living. A local bookstore wants to carry my two blurb books. Has anyone accomplished this? Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
nedrozell
Jul 29, 2011 7:36pm PDT
nedrozell

Did you ever get your answer. I would be interested.

Posted by
campbelljb
Sep 30, 2011 10:36am PDT
campbelljb

Do you have an ISBN number for your book?  You will need this to sell your book in stores and places on-line like Amazon.

Posted by
Georgiades
Oct 2, 2011 8:27pm PDT
Georgiades

As mentioned by a previous responder, you need an ISBN.  Bowker sells single ISBN number for $150.  Then you will need to add the graphic of the ISBN to your book (there are other specifics and answers about ISBNs in the blurb forums) 

To answer your question about getting it into a bookstore.  Unless blurb sometime makes arrangements with book distributors, you have to do the work yourself.  My book has been carried in a specialty bookstore related to the subject of my book (film).  I sell to them at my cost to the bookstore on consignment.  Not all bookstores will find this to be a good deal, they have to make some money on the sales.  You might have to discount them a little more than your cost.  A regular bookstore usually demands a 40% discount.  You might want to see if they’d take them on consignment.  It’s not an ideal answer and would mean you’d have to keep stock of your books.  In the end the extra work may be well worth it.

I also sell my books on amazon.  That’s harder to accomplish because blurb does not (yet) have any kind of deal with them.  If you want amazon to sell your product with you as distributor, they will ask for a whopping 55% discount, which is impossible.  Blurb (sadly) offers authors little incentive or perks or deals on the cost of the books we purchase.  10 or 15% pretty much gets eaten by shipping and tax.  So it’s hard to make a little profit.  Understand, my books is a 10×8 240 page PB and sells for (now) $63, kinda spendy.  But, in the year since I published it, I’ve sold over 300 copies.  I sell mine as an amazon seller, I still lose money on each sale since Amazon takes a cut.  The sales have been consistent, however.  For a book with no distribution beyond me and my website, I’ve got little to complain of.  Sorry for the digression, bottom line is, you can get your book out there, takes a little work.

Posted by
rudyfan
Oct 3, 2011 12:23pm PDT
rudyfan

Aside from an ISBN number do we have to get a tax number, where and what kind is required for a tax ID to sell books?

Posted by
Georgiades
Oct 16, 2011 11:49pm PDT
Georgiades

http://www.isbn-us.com/isbnnumbers.htm?gclid=CIzhz8Kw4qECFRBsgwod71v0JA

I found this site for an ISBN number for self publisher,  Tax ID, I have no idea.  I’m finding so many obstacles to getting my books published. It’s becoming extremely frustrating.

Posted by
Georgiades
Oct 16, 2011 11:53pm PDT
Georgiades

Georgia

Blurb , won’t make you rich , to be fair you’ll probably spend far more than you’ll ever make . On the other hand you’ll have the pleasure of your book that you wrote and created that may never have been published otherwise out there . You’ll have a copy for yourself. With a lot of marketing who knows you may even sell a few .

my advice just go for it and publish  

Posted by
Martincreese
Oct 17, 2011 3:09am PDT
Martincreese

I published so far four books. I’m happy that I did. I’m going to publish some more soon. I have some more materials to do so. I like this opportunity. Have a great day.

Posted by
npadro
Oct 19, 2011 11:53am PDT
npadro

Rudyfan,

If Amazon takes 55%, what is your mark-up on the 240 pages. Seems you are paying for each book. How do you do it?

Posted by
campbelljb
Nov 6, 2011 11:34am PDT
campbelljb

Campbelljb

Hi, I use Amazon Advantage.  Supplying the books this way lessens the riduculous cut amazon takes.  My book retails at $60, my price is a few buck less unless I order on a blurb coupon for a 20%.  I lose about $5-8 per sale.  It’s not optimal, but, it allows me to post my book on amazon when I have them in stock.  The sales are steady.  I keep hoping that blurb’s "distribution" deal goes through sometime soon.  I’ve been waiting since Eileen posted it as one of the things blurb was working on back in January.  After all, if we sell more books, blurb sells more books and everyone is happy. 

Posted by
rudyfan
Nov 8, 2011 11:18am PDT
rudyfan

Rudyfan…am I reading it correctly that you are losing money on every single sale of your book? This sounds like a dumb or insulting question (it’s not meant to be), but why are you even putting your books in those venues, if you are basically losing money on every sale? I ask because I am in the beginning stages of trying to possibly do what you are doing.

Posted by
kenmeyerjr
Jan 8, 2012 8:05pm PDT
kenmeyerjr

I would have thought that a local bookstore (I’m talking about an independent, not Borders) would be happy to take an order of some stock, set a retail price, put them on the shelf and that’s it. I’m currently talking to some Tourist Info Centres here in England about doing just that.

If you have a good relationship with the store, I bet you could organise a book launch with them too. And why stop at bookstores? How about a local cafe or coffeeshop?

It’s your book, you’ve copyrighted it, there’s no need for ISBNs or barcodes in these instances. I notice on Lulu.com though they GIVE you the ISBN.

Posted by
jayhawk2000
Feb 25, 2012 8:54am PDT
jayhawk2000