Ordering and Shipping

Locked Book Tax

I am about to order a few books and have noticed that Blurb has slapped on a book tax, 8.7% of my total order.  I have not been cahrged this tax on my previous orders and was wondering why Blurb have added it now? What is the point of using their discount coupons if they are just going to keep adding more cost on top of book orders. 

Posted by
jkoach
Nov 15, 2011 4:45am PDT
jkoach

Have a read of this post.

….Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 15, 2011 7:16am PDT
tfrankland

It’s time to launch a class action suit…. just saying.

Posted by
mbattenberg
Nov 16, 2011 4:57pm PDT
mbattenberg

That’s what I just said in a correspondence to blurb….. a new tax??!!  Wow! ….so the blurberati invite us to publish more books by giving a discount with one hand, and then sneakily taking it back in the other hand via a new "book tax".
This happened with previous orders with trumped up shipping charges.  Now the shipping charges have been fixed, I suppose a tax is in order.

But which country does the tax apply to?  Who collects it and where does it go?  And what legislation gives blurb the right to tax us?   When did this legislation come into effect?

I am in Australia and we don’t have any such tax here.   What is our legal position on this tax?

Posted by
sunshiine
Nov 21, 2011 6:06am PDT
sunshiine

Oh, and I have just cancelled the order i was about to make.

Posted by
sunshiine
Nov 21, 2011 6:07am PDT
sunshiine

If you read the referenced post which included an explanation from a Blurb staffer  you would see there is no Book Tax, just, in some countries and some US States there is either a sales tax or value added tax. Australian GST is a value added tax which applies to books (10% I believe) as well as to other priducts and services. 

There isn’t any tax on books in the UK and when I go through the ordering process no tax is added. 

So why blame Blurb and not your own government and politicians?

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 21, 2011 8:54am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Blurb,

I am in Australia, If you are charging me with the  GST will you be providing me a Australian TAX Invoice with the relevant Australian Business Number (ABN)  so I can claim my GST back from he Australian Governement?Thanks.

Posted by
estelucy
Nov 25, 2011 10:29pm PDT
estelucy

tfrankland…….why has blurb only just now started to add this GST tax on Australian orders when we have had the GST in place in Australia for quite a few years now? And as estelucy pointed out – how do we go about claiming back the GST from the government? Will Blurb supply Australian TAX Invoice with the relevant Australian Business Number (ABN)
Thanks.

Posted by
redsoxrunnin
Nov 27, 2011 1:14am PDT
redsoxrunnin

redsoxrunnin,

I don’t know you’d need to ask Blurb that question. I’ve an interest as I have family and friends in Australiaa who want to by some of my books. I know from a friend that Australian publishers have been lobying your parliament to stop GST free imports of books as that is unfair competition for Australian publishers – not sure if anything has come from that?

If you do ask Blurb it would be useful, if you would, to post their response here or the rest of us to see.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 27, 2011 3:32am PDT
tfrankland

What bloody competition? It’s not is if I could order my book from an Australian book seller, and I seriously doubt that blurb, being a US company will be collecting taxes on behalf of the Australian government! I was just about to order a lot of books, even though I had recent problems with quality. But this is the last nail in the coffin for me. I’ll be looking for another supplier. Goodbye blurb!

Posted by
solittletime
Nov 28, 2011 1:07am PDT
solittletime

I’m here at the Asian region country. Its beneficial like me if http://www.viaddress.com/ would take care the shopping and shipping for the book because its valuable cost efficiently caused me.

Blurb this if you would like help other non-US shoppers online.

Posted by
utter8her
Nov 28, 2011 3:57pm PDT
utter8her

I have to echo what Tony posted.  Why do people blame Blurb for the taxes their own government levies on them.  Why don’t they take it up with their own politicians instead.

I have a feeling that being an international supplier, Blurb has a very difficult time keeping up with all of the shipping and tax issues that exist when selling in the various juridictions.

Posted by
deanej
Nov 28, 2011 4:27pm PDT
deanej

Well deanej, I happen to do a lot of online shopping with US suppliers. Blurb happens to be the FIRST to charge me what is allegedly an "Australian" book tax. I’m no tax lawyer, but I cannot see what legal obligations (or even a moral obligation) Blurb (a US company) has to collect an Australian tax. Maybe they’ve got an Australian operation, but if they do they haven’t told anyone here and in any case, books still get made in the US and take 3 weeks to get here. If they start making/supplying books in and from Australia there will be a reason to charge an Australian Goods and Services Tax. Until that happens, I’ll be shopping elsewhere.

Posted by
solittletime
Nov 29, 2011 12:16pm PDT
solittletime

Hi All,

Blurb was able to avoid charging GST for many years. However. due to our high growth in Australia we were recently advised to start collecting GST immediately.

As an international business we are ultimately required to follow the tax laws of the many different countries we do business in.

We also have applied to receive ABN information from the Austalian goverment. Hopefully, we will receive a response to this request soon. Once we do, that information will be added to all orders placed, shipping to any/all Australian addresses. 

If you have further questions, please contact Customer Support.

Thanks,

Jay

Posted by
bookguy1
Nov 29, 2011 5:33pm PDT
bookguy1

The ATO explains that when a  suppler does not have an ABN, and the total payment for the goods or services is more than $75 excluding any GST, the purchaser will have to withhold 46.5% of the payment and pay it to the ATO.

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.aspx?doc=/content/19178.htm

As a PAYG withholder, I trust Blurb will be happy for me to withold 46.5% of my next order?

Can Blurb please clarify:

- who has advised them to collect the GST?

- what is done with the GST?

Posted by
marknat
Dec 1, 2011 4:15am PDT
marknat

CLASS ACTION

Under Australian Law, a company that collects a GST from sales in Australia must provide a TAX INVOICE showing their ABN number, their local business name and address and the amount of GST collected. If Blurb have not provided you with a Tax Invoice or refused to provide a Tax Invoice, I would invite you to join a Class Action against Blurb. The action would compel Blurb to provide ALL transactions of all sales to Australia where they charged a GST. Blurb would be compelled to refund ALL customers who paid this fraudulent charge and all cost for pursuing the case. Furthermore, Blurb would face the wrath of the ATO shouldever try to register a business in Australia.

Please join me.

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 11, 2011 9:42am PDT
robinhas

Australia Law : "Misleading and Deceptive Conduct"  Australian Competition and Consumer Act 2010

US Law: "Misappropriation"   http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2006/146/78605.html

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 11, 2011 1:21pm PDT
robinhas

Having a presence in a Country and having a business in a country are two  different things. Australia requires NO GST on any goods and services provided outside the country. To charge GST Blurb must have an ABN (Australian Business Number). Like wise there is no duty for goods and services under the value of $1000.00 AUD.

Blurb should either provide a legitimate ABN number and tax invoice or refund all tax collected.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

Posted by
mokups
Dec 11, 2011 3:05pm PDT
mokups

I just wanted to register my displeasure about this new book tax. I have no choice but to order my book from Blurb as I have already printed one batch and now need to do another (if i go to another supplier, the books will not match).

I think its extremely bad form (and also apparently illegal) to charge a tax for which you have not yet been given an ABN for.

Posted by
danaenatsis
Dec 11, 2011 5:47pm PDT
danaenatsis

BLURB ARE PETTY THIEVES
Blurb are not registered to collect a GST in Australia, yet they charge a 10% premium on sales and shipment to Australia. No matter what any of their Customer Support satf say on this forum, the fact remains that Blurb cannot as of now legally collect this GST. Blurb are just petty thieves from the wild west of the USA ripping off customers from overseas. I wouldnt be surprised if they are also ripping off customers from other countries or states where they are claiming that they must collect a VAT or tax but are just using it as an excuse to collect more money through misappropriation by deceit.

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 15, 2011 1:50am PDT
robinhas

Hi everyone,

I appreciate everyone’s concerns about collecting GST, but I assure you that we are only following tax protocol. Please don’t use this thread to threaten us or to make unfounded claims. As a global company, we must collect taxes as required. We have this forum for the community to help each other. Let’s continue to do so. That said, I’d like to give you a bit of info that we’ve probably shared with a few of you already via customer support.

We have begun collecting GST as we now have a business presence and do a fair amount of business in Australia. Apparently we should have started collecting GST ages ago and have been subsidizing it for quite some time, so this is a long-overdue process, if a slow-moving one.

And yes, we have applied for an ABN as well, but there’s been an unexpected delay in the final stages of that process. We’re working on clearing that up and getting the ABN as quickly as we can. We don’t now when exactly that will happen but it’s definitely in the works. Please let me assure you that all Australian GST that Blurb has collected in the meantime will indeed be paid to the Australian tax authorities.

Again, we don’t know exactly when we’ll have the ABN, be it next week or next month or later. We’re hoping for earlier but we’re learning to be patient since things like this move slowly or in unexpected directions when it comes to navigating tax-related bureaucracy!

And yes, Blurb will be back-dating its GST registration, again all part of protocol. For more information on that process, please check out this link: http://www.gstaustralia.com.au/can-i-back-date-my-gst-registration

If you have further concerns, please feel free to contact customer support.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 15, 2011 7:19am PDT
kathybad

In regards to the Tax, I have just placed my first order for the sample kit and was shocked to be charged this Book tax (did not even order a book yet)
Firstly there is no book tax specific for Aust only Gst and I can comment on this as I have owned and operated one of the most highly awarded Printing companies in Australia for over 25 years……
I am using Blurb for one of copies which is not viable to print at my company.
The Aust Gov recently ruled that for orders over $1000 AU Gst is to be charged.
Orders under that value are still exempt from Gst.
This is likely to change in the future as more pressure is being applied to the retail industry to compete with online purchasing but the law is the law and Blurb and any other OS company is not entitled to collect this tax on behalf of the Aust Gov, the GST is applied and collected by Aust customs and held until paid if the order is over $10000 AU.
I strongly suggest Blurb stops charging a tax they are not handing over to the Aust Gov.
I can imagine how much much money has already been collected by Blurb under the guise of “Book Tax” already, I would be absolutely positive they have not passed this on to the ATO
If this charge does continue then it could be deemed as Fraudlent if Blurb had an Autralian arm.
I will be posting this comment to my industry here as well as the Aust Institute of Professional Photographers of which I am a full member.
Blurb I suggest you don’t await a reply from the gov, simply ring either Aust customs or the ATO.
Thankyou

Posted by
TKFoto
Dec 15, 2011 7:32am PDT
TKFoto

Sorry I made a small typo, I said $10000 not $1000 in regards to Aust Customs collecting the Gst.
Orders over $1000 AU will be charged Gst by Aust customs.
So if by chance you placed an order with a value of $1000 AU under the current Blurb protocol you would be charged Twice for GST

Posted by
TKFoto
Dec 15, 2011 7:37am PDT
TKFoto

I’m still mystified that an overseas company is charging GST at all. I order all manner of things from overseas … CDs, books, clothing, photographic equipment … and never once have I paid GST, as all my orders have been under $1000. British companies are always sure to remove any VAT from my order. There is much pressure in Australia from retailers to lower the GST threshold for imported goods, which was introduced I understand by the previous Howard government, and I suspect something will happen in the next year or so. But even with 10% added, many things will still be a lot cheaper, as prices in Australia have traditionally been unreasonably high, for a number of complex reasons. (Retailers claim that many multinational companies charge more to send goods to Australia simply because they reckon we’re willing to pay more. Well I’m not.)

My understanding of the brief responses from Blurb is that they have been required by the Australian government to collect GST. I’m not a lawyer, but if this is the case, I’m very surprised. Can anyone show me any other overseas company that does this? As I said somewhere else in these forums, I suspect the real reason is that Blurb are about to open an Australian operation where they will be obliged to add GST, so they are positioning themselves to be able to say, when that happens, "We’ve been collecting GST anyway." (They’ll probably find that internal freight costs in Australia are as high as or higher than freight from the US to Australia, too!)

I’ve always been very happy with the products I’ve received from Blurb, the slickness of their operation, and their readiness to replace any faulty merchandise. One reason I’ve stayed loyal is that their prices have been very competitive. But with the recent rises, along with this mysterious GST, they are a lot less so. I have done around 25 individual books since I began with Blurb a year and a half ago, and purchased multiple copies of most, and would like to remain "in the family". But perhaps it’s time to try out the competition?

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 15, 2011 4:27pm PDT
Maharg

Kathy at Blurb,

Blurb have not been following correct Australian Tax protocol as you claim. If you had been, you would have provided Tax Invoices at the time you made sales and charged the GST. As it stands, Blurb still refuses to provide Tax Invoices, and Blurb is simply just pocketing the extra charges as it has no way to forward this tax to the Australian Tax Office (ATO). It’s simple Kathy, just provide us with the Tax Invoices and we have a guarantee that the GST has been collected legitimately. If you can’t do this, then please just keep quiet and go back to do what you do best. Blurb, just give us our Tax Invoices or remain accused of petty theft. Your choice. Thanks.

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 17, 2011 6:08am PDT
robinhas

Hi folks,

Quick little updates to some of your questions:
- Referencing the tax as a book tax is an error on our part. It will be fixed sometime in January and labeled simply as “tax.” The rate collected is correct whether it’s for a book, swatch kit, or ebook, it’s just that we’re mislabeling it on the website.
- We do remit tax to the Australian government.
- As soon as it’s in hand, we will post our Australian Business Number on our website and invoices.
- The $1000 limit that’s been referred to here is for imports from non-resident companies – if the declared value on an import is less than $1000 there is no VAT paid on import. We are now doing some printing in Australia and are no longer truly non-resident. Therefore we are subject to charging, collecting, and remitting GST to the ATO (Australia Tax Office) which, as previously stated, Blurb is doing. This tax applies a book whether it is produced and shipped from within AU or imported from outside AU hence the confusion by some of the folks in this thread.

I hope this information quells the conspiracy theories going on. : ) If you still have questions, I implore you to work with customer support.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 18, 2011 9:36am PDT
kathybad

Oh well. It looks like the golden days are over.

Just for the heck of it, I approached a handful of publish-on-demand companies and asked them the following …

I’m in Australia. If I purchase goods from you, will you add GST (goods and services tax)?

Here are the responses …

Lulu: no response after 48 hours

My Publisher: no response after 48 hours

Paper Chase: Yes

Shutterfly: No

Snapfish: no response after 48 hours

Viovio: "all of our taxes are rolled into our shipping charges", whatever that means

Photobook (Australia): No

Asukabook: Yes

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 20, 2011 1:54pm PDT
Maharg

Kathy @ Blurb,

I contacted your Customer Support as you suggested to get my Tax Invoice but nobody has provided this. See email below. So my comments still stand that Blurb are petty thieves unless you provide me with a Tax Invoice.

Hi Customer Support,

You shipped my order no. 2095866.
You charged me an extra 10% GST on my order but you did not provide me with a Tax Invoice with the shipment.
Please provide me with a Tax Invoice which must show the following details on the Invoice:
1. Your Company name
2. Invoice must state TAX INVOICE
3. Your Company address in Australia
4. Your Australian ABN (Australian Business Number)
5. The total amount of the invoice
6. The amount of GST that you collected for the Australian Tax Office (ATO).

As you have charged me a 10% GST, you are required under Australian Law to provide a Tax Invoice.
If you do not provide this Invoice, then you have simply misappropriated an extra 10% by deceipt.
Thank you.
Robin Hastings

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 22, 2011 6:07pm PDT
robinhas

Gerry Harvey, the Australian billionaire businessman who led the unsuccessful push earlier this year by Australian retailers to lower the GST threshold for imported goods, has just begun advertising that people can import products directly from his Irish operation to avoid paying GST. In so doing he has undercut prices at his local stores. Perhaps Blurb should have a talk to Gerry?

Posted by
Maharg
Dec 23, 2011 2:46pm PDT
Maharg

Is there a tax for New Zealand ?

Posted by
greyghost999
Dec 28, 2011 1:17am PDT
greyghost999

TO: Zo,
Blurb Customer Support
RE: DEMAND FOR REFUND OF "GST" TAXES ILLEGALLY COLLECTED BY BLURB
MISLEADING AND DECEPTIVE CONDUCT (Australian Competition and Consumer Act
2010 – January 2011)
Thank you for the offer to call me. However, there is no need for you to
call me to tell me that you cannot provide a Tax Invoice which complies with
Australian Tax Law.
I run several businesses in Australia and I am completely familiar with the
Law relating to ABN Registration in Australia, Tax Invoices and reporting of
GST collection to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) through the BAS system.
On several occasions previously, and in the email below, I have requested
that you provide me with a Tax Invoice that must under Australian Law
provide the minimum details as I have listed below.
The only reference to an ABN for Blurb that I can find on the Australian
Government website states that Blurb is NOT registered for GST (Goods and
Services Tax) in Australia. See this link >>
http://www.abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=82593178092.
If Blurb is not registered for GST then Blurb cannot issue a Tax Invoice and
therefore Blurb is not legally able to collect a GST because you have no way
to collect the GST and remit it to the ATO through the BAS reporting
procedures.
I allege that Blurb is simply just raising its prices by 10% to Australian
consumers under the pretence that you are collecting a GST when anybody with
even a slight knowledge of Australian Tax Law will tell you that what you
are doing is illegal.
I am completely dumbfounded that Blurb has not consulted an accountant in
Australia versed with this law who will tell you exactly what I have told
you.
What you are doing by charging a GST without providing a Tax Invoice is
simply ILLEGAL, whatever spin you want to put on it. Legally, you are only
able to provide a Tax Invoice and collect the GST when you are registered
for GST with the ATO. Until such a time, you cannot legally collect the GST
and there is no reason to do so. So as it stands, you are just
misappropriating an extra 10% by deceit.
Therefore, I hereby demand that you reimburse me the additional charges of
AUD13.99  that Blurb illegally collected for my order no. 2095866.
Should Blurb fail to refund this amount within 14 days of this email dated
29-Dec-2011, I will take legal action against Blurb as soon as you have a
registered office in Australia. My claim through the Australian Courts will
allege that Blurb engaged in "Misleading and Deceptive" conduct which is an
offence under the Australian Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (January
2011). See this link >>
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815335.
I will also be claiming damages and legal costs to pursue my claim.
I have also reported the actions of Blurb to the ATO. See this link >>
http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/content/30332.htm&pc=001/001/008/007&mnu=0&mfp=&st=&cy=
Enough is enough.
Yours sincerely,
Robin Hastings
Sydney, Australia
<del>-</del>——————————————————————————————
——-Original Message——-
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:59 AM
Subject: TAX INVOICE for purchases in Australia [Incident: 111209-000316]
Discussion Thread
———————————————————————————————-
Response Via Email(Zo) – 12/28/2011 11:59 AM
Hello Robin,
Thank you for the email. We are currently awaiting the issuance of our ABN
number. I will pass it along as soon as all of the paperwork is processed by
the US and Australian tax authority.
I know this situation is very frustrating and I am worried that some
incorrect assumptions are being made. Would you like to speak on the phone
so I can help explain the situation? There is no advantage to Blurb
collecting GST for Australian orders. If anything, it is a detriment as it
creates a higher end cost to our Australian customers.
If you would like to speak on the phone, please let me know the best number
and time to reach you.
Best Wishes,
Zo
Blurb Customer Support
Posted by
robinhas
Dec 28, 2011 4:14pm PDT
robinhas

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET AN AUSTRALIAN ABN SO THAT A COMPANY CAN LEGALLY CHARGEGST TO AUSTRALIAN CONSUMERS.

Blurb have made many submissions to me that they are waiting to get an ABN and they say it will take 30-60 days. RUBBISH.

The clear answer to this is on the Australian Government website. See the link below. Answer: IMMEDIATELY.

http://www.abr.business.gov.au/Faq.aspx#howlong 

Another "misleading and deceptive" response from Blurb Customer No Support.

Thank you, Robin Hastings

The case is NOT rested.

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 28, 2011 7:09pm PDT
robinhas

I wonder if censorship is imminent?

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 28, 2011 7:12pm PDT
robinhas

I’m glad somebody is going to challenge the "GST" and "Tax" charges that these companies levy in the name of increasing their profits.

Click this link >> http://www.consumersagainstblurb.com/

Good luck.

Posted by
robinhas
Dec 28, 2011 9:25pm PDT
robinhas

Hi Robin,

I am sorry you do not wish to speak with us over the phone as Zo has offered. As he noted, he is concerned incorrect assumptions are being made. Our forum is not the place for back and forth communication and misdirected grievances especially when every effort is being made to respect and answer your concerns.

As as a side note: We do not censor at Blurb. Look through our forums, blog comments, and bookstore to see that our community has pretty powerful and amazing voices. We stand by everything we have said in this forum and ask you to believe that Blurb is neither being deceptive nor misleading.

I am going to lock this forum thread because it is getting too long. Feel free to start another one, albeit in a friendlier manner.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 29, 2011 3:51am PDT
kathybad

Hello all. As a handful of people are still confused, or even accusing Blurb of all sorts of terrible things, I wanted to make one final update/recap below. If you still have questions about why and how we’re collecting GST, please read on.

GST COLLECTION
ln 2011 multiple Australian accountancy firms we consulted advised us to apply for an ABN and start collecting GST. They recommended that we do so based on the fact that we had established a physical business presence in Australia and also based on our level of turnover (sales) in Australia. (These firms, by the way, are reputable, established consultancies serving Fortune 500 companies, so we’re quite confident their advice is accurate).

We realize that some Blurb customers are simply unhappy because they must now pay more for their Blurb books due to GST. As an international corporation, Blurb must adhere to the regulations of the countries we do business in, and that’s exactly our intention behind collecting GST.

To be absolutely clear, and counter some of the misinformation out there, all the GST that Blurb has collected will indeed be remitted to the Australian government. .

ABN STATUS
As above, Blurb was advised to apply for an Australian ABN number, and so we began the application process along with collecting GST. However, there was an unexpected delay with some of the ABN paperwork (as Kathy explained here). Everything is now back on track, and we should have the ABN soon though I do not have an exact date. 

We have also been advised that Blurb is allowed to back-date its ABN. This means that once we have our ABN we can apply it to the GST we have collected in the interim. For those who remain skeptical, I did a little research and found some support for this on the internet, which you can view here (see points 5 and 6). Note that this is for reference purposes only— the company linked to is not one of our advisers nor affiliated with Blurb in any way, so please don’t contact them regarding Blurb.

I hope this addresses any lingering questions or doubts that people may have. We honestly don’t have anything else to add to the conversation at this point, as we’ve said all we can and must now simply wait for the ABN to process. Once we have the ABN we can make it available. 

Posted by
mikewhy
Jan 10, 2012 12:59pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Good news! The long-awaited Blurb ABN number is now available. We’re sorry for the delay—some paperwork had to be resubmitted, causing delays—but we now have our ABN. Anyone wishing to confirm its existence can do so here.

We began collecting GST on 10 November 2011, and our GST registration has been backdated to 9 Nov 2011 (as permitted by the ATO). All GST collected between 10th Nov and today will be filed/paid retroactively, as we explained previously.

Starting later this month, our ABN will automatically appear on all the order details page for all Australian orders. You can then print a copy for your records, via My Account>Order History.

For orders placed before then, anyone needing a GST-compliant invoice for Australian tax  purposes should request one via customer support.

Thanks for your patience while we awaited the ABN, and please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Jan 18, 2012 3:40pm PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff