Ordering and Shipping

Locked cant upload from lightroom

Hi there
newbie here. I have lightroom4 with the blurb book add-on. I have tried several times to upload a book to be printed but all I get is a very vague communication error message about half way through the upload process.
any ideas to what could be the problem?
any help greatly appreciated
cheers

Posted by
peekaybee
Jun 27, 2012 2:39am PDT
peekaybee

This is the error message I get: “There was an error creating your book on the Blurb server (Network Communication). Please try again.” not much help eh?
have tried relogging into blurb. no internet security thingies going on.
anyone got any ideas?

Posted by
peekaybee
Jun 27, 2012 3:04am PDT
peekaybee

Hi peekaybee,

If the upload hangs somewhere around 80% I recommend trying from a wired/different connection (provided you’re on a laptop). Almost all Lightroom4 upload issues are due to a connection restriction of some sort.

You may also want to try exporting your book to a PDF to see if it’s a PDF rendering problem.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Jun 27, 2012 10:48am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Hi Craig
Thanks for getting back to me.
have exported the book to PDF with no problems.
It seems to at 50% that it stops uploading. have tried uploading from wifi & ethernet
Patrick

Posted by
peekaybee
Jun 28, 2012 9:34am PDT
peekaybee

Hi peekaybee,

It’s possible there is either a software or network firewall blocking the upload (uploads to Blurb.com are currently working fine in LR4). The only way to see for sure if this is the case is to export your catalog to another computer and try uploading via another connection (not best solution, I know).

If it’s an office connection would also recommend uploading from somewhere else if possible. You can also test the connection by creating a small blank book and trying to upload that.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Jun 28, 2012 3:51pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

Dear peekaybee,

Did you ever get this sorted? I just found this thread when searching for the answer to exactly the same problem. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m on deadline to get this project to print!

Thanks!

Katherine

Posted by
kkaess
Jul 11, 2012 8:20pm PDT
kkaess

Hi Katherine and Peekaybee,

Having the same problem from LR4.  I have hardwire internet connection and the book compiles to a PDF.

PeterF

Posted by
pandj4d
Aug 2, 2012 12:12am PDT
pandj4d

same problem here! and my lightroom trial runs out in the morning

Posted by
mezzza
Aug 2, 2012 3:03pm PDT
mezzza

I have the same problem also – the render seems to work, but upload fails. In fact it stalls almost immediately. I’ve tried with various connections – still having problems. 

I can export to PDF, but the PDF generated by the blurb module isn’t compatible with the PDF to Book. Not sure how that makes sense

Posted by
mhlees
Aug 10, 2012 8:50am PDT
mhlees

I have the same problem. Render goes fine but when it tries to upload it to Blurb it stalls (like for 2 hours) and the communication error message appears.

Posted by
juankk2091
Aug 16, 2012 6:57am PDT
juankk2091

Yep. At the risk of doing a “me too” – me too! Over about 7 or 8 attempts, I’ve uploaded three times – to find that one “book” isn’t there and the other two have pages missing – but different pages.

Blurb support tells me they’re looking into it – but it’s been some time.

Posted by
ShaneB
Aug 20, 2012 3:45am PDT
ShaneB

Hi ShaneB,

I’m not sure what you mean by "the other two have pages missing." The only (and best way) to proof your book is within the Lightroom application ifself. Any other way of previewing your book is not recommended. For instance, it’s not possible for a Lightroom uploaded book to have missing pages, so if you are seeing this somewhere it’s probably not showing you an accurate representation of the book.

I will reiterate for others that are having upload trouble; the most common reason for upload issues is a restiction usually placed from either a firewall, anti-virus, or backup agent. Turning these off temporarily should result in a successful upload.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Aug 20, 2012 11:10am PDT
csm Icon_staff

Hi,
my student is having the same problem too. We tried uploading the book in London from his home with no firewall, anti-virus or backup agent running and it failed around half way. He then returned to India and tried to upload from his home there with the same problem. It is a 125 page book and we have spent a long time editing it in Lightroom. Do you have any further advice other than that given.
Stephen

Posted by
lovely69
Aug 21, 2012 5:10am PDT
lovely69

hi there, I got same problem. exporting book to pdf works perfectly. trying to upload the book to blurb stops half way (after the rendering – when trying to upload book). I had uploaded a former version of the book a couple of weeks ago. switched of firewall, backup sw, no anti-virus on the system. I tried another book to upload – it worked ok, so the issue seems to be in the book itself. I’m on OS X 10.8 and LR 4.1.

uwe

Posted by
Klingebiel
Sep 3, 2012 10:24pm PDT
Klingebiel

I too am having this problem. LR 4.1 on the latest gen iMac OS X Lion 10.7.4. No anti virus or firewall software on my iMac and I’m doing this from home, so no corporate firewall getting in the way. My router is rock solid – no connectivity issues.

Rendering the PDF in the LR Book module works fine. It gets stuck Uploading Pages. It doesn’t tell me which page is being uploaded, just a progress bar that doesn’t move. No errors, no nothing.

This is my first book. I spent a lot of time assembling my 90 page book, now I can’t get it uploaded / printed.

I read about disabling “Apply Background Globally”. Tried it but made no difference.

What to do?

Posted by
Zoran555
Sep 10, 2012 9:02pm PDT
Zoran555

An update on this. I decided to try one last time and it again got stuck Upload Pages, but I just let it go all night and went to bed. I checked it in the morning and the book had uploaded. I completed the order. I have no idea how long it took, less than 7 hours though.

Posted by
Zoran555
Sep 11, 2012 4:35am PDT
Zoran555

I am having an identical problem.  Half way thru, it stops downloading and says "Network Problem".  I can download as a PDF.  I shut off my firewall.  Very frustrating.  I have been trying for a week.  I do many books thru other services.  I was hoping this would work to show others how to do books as well. This book is about 110 pages and I have spent hours/weeks on it.  I am pretty disappointed.  If I shut off the firewall, etc. how can I get this to work?  Did anybody find a solution other than shut off firewall and shut off and reload blurb?  I don’t relish having to change computers and does that mean I would have to reload Lightroom?  Staff or other, can I get an answer?

Posted by
Stoeppelman
Sep 20, 2012 9:47pm PDT
Stoeppelman

I just downloaded a very small book as a test,  which did download so my network and virus control is not the issue.  I think the issue is that the "real" book that I have spent hours on, is too complicated for Blurb to upload.  It has 112 pages and about 450 images.  Why can I download a small test book but not my "real" book?  Someone, help!  I guess I can not download this from a PDF file either?  Is the only way to now take this to a different publishing company?  I was hoping this would be easy and I was looking forward to using Blub with Lightroom.  I have done many books using different services so this is stumping me.  Someone help?

Posted by
Stoeppelman
Sep 20, 2012 10:50pm PDT
Stoeppelman

I too am having this problem,  I have been trying all day 66% and it fails.

Fast computer and fast internet connection. Someone PLEASE HELP!

Posted by
Artsyone4you
Sep 23, 2012 7:39pm PDT
Artsyone4you

It seems a common topic here. Same problem during upload and a couple of suggestions: work with Adobe to make the whole uploading procedure clearer and resumable.

1st, say to the user WHAT page the plug-in is uploading

2nd, resume upload: if it interrupts abruptly, the user can resume it from the last successfully uploaded page.

Those two functions should be a normal thing considering "Adobe" and the fact that a book is FULL of high res photographs. Possible that noone thought to those obvious things?

Best

Posted by
EmanueleC
Sep 25, 2012 1:26am PDT
EmanueleC

I finally, after 2 weeks got the book to download from Lightroom 4.  It got stuck at 50% with "This is an error creating your book on the Blurb Server (Network Communication). Pls. try again."  I called Adoble and they said it was not their issue.  Blurb to be honest was not real helpful as I have tried to talk to them but have had an email trail.  I could do a PDF. I had shut off Virus and also the autosave (CrashPro).  Without doing these things I COULD download a smaller book sucessfully.  From the beginning I could make a PDF. Anyway, I called my internet provider and hooked directly to the connection (no bluetooth).  I FINALLY WENT TO THE CABLE COMPANY AND ACTUALLY PLUGGED INTO THEIR CONNECTION & IT DOWNLOADED.  I bought them pizza.  My book has a black cover since I had reduced the book size to 99 pages thinking it was too many pages.  I think it was an internet issue funneling from my computer to the Blurb.  IT did take maybe an hour.  I have about 450 hi res photos and now 100 pages.  I think it has to do with how many mg is being uploaded.  VERY FRUSTRATING.  I DO BOOKS FROM OTHER COMPANIES ALL THE TIMELOVE LIGHT ROOM AND ANXIOUS TO GET BOOK BUT THIS NEEDS TO BE WORKED OUT.  It is a Lightroom to Blurb issue judging from other’s complaints.  Also, Blurb did not respond about maybe driving directly to Blurb developer or PDF download.  Once the book is uploaded from Lightroom, I do not see any options to change the book (like add a picture to my now black cover…but Oh well).  This needs some TLC since it seems like a great product. 

Posted by
Stoeppelman
Oct 3, 2012 2:45pm PDT
Stoeppelman

Hi Stoeppelman,

Glad to hear your book finally upload and sorry about the previous frustrations. Uploading large amounts of data is always going to be a challenge and hopefully we can continue to make the process easier.

That said, we see hundreds of books uploaded from Lightroom, so, in a matter of speaking, this is tends to be an isolated problem (although forum threads often make it look like this is not the case).

This thread is getting old so it’ll be locked to keep things current. Feel free to start a new one.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Oct 3, 2012 4:52pm PDT
csm Icon_staff