Ordering and Shipping

Simpler and more transparent pricing? Not for Aussies

Just got an email from Blurb which began "In response to requests from customers for a simpler and more transparent pricing structure, we have moved to a per page pricing model." But it will still be necessary for me to suggest to prospective buyers in Australia that they pay in US dollars, as the Australian prices are up to 30% higher.

Example 1: 20 page large landscape, dust jacket, standard paper AU$62.72 = US$65.02, but on US/global site US$49.99.

Example 2: 20 page large landscape, dust jacket, pro-line uncoated paper AU$84.67 = US$ 87.78, but on US/global site $68.09.

It’s not as if our currency is volatile; it’s been above the US dollar for almost of the last few years.

Curiously, some of the Australian prices are a little lower than the US ones, but the vast majority are higher, by around 15 to 20%. Blurb must think we Aussies are a soft touch.

At least it’s still possible for us to switch to the global site and pay in US dollars. Will Blurb deny us this option in the near future?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Maharg
Mar 14, 2013 8:30pm PDT
Maharg

I received the same email. I was excited at first that maybe they listed to all of us authors and reduced pricing by 40% so that we could actually sell our books and make a profit. They mentioned in the email that some book base pricing will actually increase if it’s already listed publicly and some may go down a bit. Mine didn’t move at all. Still the same astronomical price. I’ve asked them to skip the middle man (the outside printer) and become the printer themselves so that we can all win. So far, they haven’t budged. Too bad. No sales for anyone I guess. What a shame.

Posted by
alexis77jm
Mar 16, 2013 1:18pm PDT
alexis77jm

I meant to say “listened” not listed.

Posted by
alexis77jm
Mar 16, 2013 1:20pm PDT
alexis77jm

That’s why I always pay in American dollars… I’ve saved so much money that way. Just refuse to go to the Australian store and make sure it’s in US dollars. (And when you add a discount it’s even more amazing).

Posted by
rac_dev
Mar 21, 2013 9:36pm PDT
rac_dev

As I said, just hope and pray that Blurb don’t introduce "geo-blocking". There’s a government enquiry at present where Adobe, Microsoft and Apple are being questioned as to why they do this, and why we are forced to pay vastly more for their products than Americans do.

Posted by
Maharg
Mar 22, 2013 5:48pm PDT
Maharg