Ordering and Shipping

Think i made a mistake with my first UK order :(

Hi,

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">Just ordered my first book - a 5 year wedding anniversary present for my other half. I’m in the UK and to get it in time for our anniversary using the quickest method would have been touch and go anyway…. I ordered the book today and paid for the most expensive shipping (priority); after ordering I checked the shipping time to the UK and was aghast to see that this most expensive ‘priority’ shipping is actually 3-5 days whereas the less expensive ‘express’ delivery is only 2-4 days!!!</font>

<font size="3"><font color="#000000"><font face="Times New Roman">Can anyone explain why it costs more for a slower delivery?! It is very frustrating as I was really hopping it would arrive on time </font>L<font face="Times New Roman">…..Also after checking the FAQs it appears that I can’t amend the shipping once I ordered it…..</font></font></font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">Matt </font>

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mattyb
Aug 12, 2008 12:28am PDT
mattyb

Sorry – post pasted from word and format went screwy – also dont seem to have the option of amending my previous post above?? Hopefully this reads better! 

———————

Just ordered my first book – a 5 year wedding anniversary present for my other half. I’m in the UK and to get it in time for our anniversary would have been touch and go anyway…. I ordered the book today and paid for the most expensive shipping (priority); after ordering I checked the shipping time and was aghast to see that this most expensive ‘priority’ shipping is actually 3-5 days whereas the less expensive ‘express’ delivery is only 2-4 days!!!

Can anyone explain why it costs more for a slower delivery?! It is very annoying as I was really hopping it would arrive on time..:( Also after checking the FAQs it appears that I can’t amend the shipping once I ordered it…..

Posted by
mattyb
Aug 12, 2008 12:32am PDT
mattyb

Hello Mattyb;

With respect – I think you are wrong here…

The "Express" option is the fastest – and – most expensive method of delivery!

The word "Priority" may indicate a quicker option – but it’s not!

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 12, 2008 3:03am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks for the reply…but when i go to order the book this is what appears – Priority being the most expensive?

Posted by
mattyb
Aug 12, 2008 10:17pm PDT
mattyb

Hi mattyb;

Mmmmmm – looks like a glitch on your specific scenario!

I did a handful of tests on the "Shipping Calculator" and they all worked out as "Express" being the most expensive!

Doesn’t help you in this instance!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 13, 2008 1:28am PDT
lkb-28

Good evening,

I am having the same problem. In the UK the express option tells me it is cheaper and quicker than the priority option. Haven’t got a problem with that but I would be expecting to pay a premium for the quicker service.

I am concerned that the option buttons on the shipping page are the wrong way around. So even if I select the express option I will be getting the priority option.

The Blurb people seem to have a problem recognising this as I got a very quick response saying they could not help me to choose which option I should use. NOt what I was asking in my email but …

I would like to know the answer.

kgb

Sat 16 Aug 2008 00:48

Posted by
kengboddy
Aug 15, 2008 4:49pm PDT
kengboddy

The option buttons on the shipping page are confusing.

The way it works is this for 1 book

Economy: slowest: cheapest

Priotity: medium: medium cost

Express: fastest: most expensive

This is the way it works for 100 books:

Economy: slowest: medium cost

Priotity: medium:most expensive

Express: fastest: cheapest

The reason:

The slow method is, I think Swiss Post which, like Royal Mail, the heavier the package the more costly the post. The quick method is UPS which starts off more expenive but doesn’t really increase with the weight.

Note to Blurb:

Please reorder the shipping calculator for EU – the speed order is Economy, Priority, Express but the list in is this order: Express, Economy, Priority. It seems rather confusing. Also, please consider renaming the postage as it’s not clear (to my mind anyway) which would be the quickest postage unless I check with your shipping info table each time. Thanks :-)

Posted by
dasantillo
Aug 16, 2008 11:57am PDT
dasantillo

Dasantillo, what you write there about the shipping cost for one book doesn’t seem to match what the shipping calculator tells me.

These are the prices that are given for my one 118 page book being shipped to the Netherlands:

<table cellspacing="0" border="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><th>Shipping Methods</th> <th class="price">Estimated Shipping Cost</th> </tr> <tr class="oddrow"> <td>Express</td> <td class="price">$13.16</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Economy</td> <td class="price">$12.05</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow"> <td>Priority</td> <td class="price">$19.28</td></tr></tbody></table>

I had the exact same thing as the original poster. I chose Express since I don’t really care how fast it’s gonna be here; the only thing I wanted was trackable shipping for the lowest possible price.

It is very confusing however: which shipping method is faster for one book: express or priority?

Posted by
juupke
Aug 16, 2008 1:16pm PDT
juupke

Ok, sorry, copy-pasting tables from elsewhere on the site obviously doesn’t work (BLurb, how about allowing us to edit our posts??).

It was supposed to say this:

Shipping Methods                 Estimated Shipping Cost

Express                                    $13.16

Economy                                  $12.05

Priority                                      $19.28

Posted by
juupke
Aug 16, 2008 1:19pm PDT
juupke

juupke, normal mail maybe better for you as the books are printed in the Netherlands. I based my info on shipping to the UK.

This page may help:

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/shipping

It explains the shipping speeds, although be aware that the order listed in this table is different to the order shown in the shipping calculator.

Posted by
dasantillo
Aug 16, 2008 11:22pm PDT
dasantillo

Due to the shipping rate request conducted per order, and all the variables involved in a given request, we are seeing many instances where the ordering of shipping mentods is not consistent. We are working on a way to make the display more consistent and to help provide additional information for each option.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Aug 17, 2008 7:08pm PDT
norcaljhawk

After all the confussion with the shipping times i was really worried on Saturday as this was our anniversary and the book hadn’t arrived…. then all of a sudden at 4pm a royal mail van arrived (which was odd as they NEVER deliver by us after 12..!). It was my book! talk about in the nick of time! anyway i scurried it away and suprised the wife with it at dinner – she loved it; as do I! the print quality is simply superb!

Posted by
mattyb
Aug 26, 2008 2:45am PDT
mattyb

Hi mattyb;

Glad it all worked for you…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Aug 26, 2008 5:11am PDT
lkb-28