Ordering and Shipping

my first book finally arrived

OK, so I have been complaining here all week about not getting my book, so I figured it’s only fair to even out the scoreboard.

My book arrived this afternoon. It is a 13×11 hardcover/dust jacket with premium paper, 158 pages. Order was placed 12/7. Received today (12/19) with next day shipping.

The book itself is quite good. For what I paid for it I think it was a good value. The premium paper is basically matte but there was a bit of glare when I was looking at it under fairly direct halogen light. 

The colors are quite vibrant, expecially the greens. The text is very sharp. I have no instances of photos being too dark. Although there are several dusk photos that are not as sharp as I would like. Several other full bleed pages have similar issues with a certain softness. My guess is they would be much sharper on glossy paper. The front and back covers look very good, but again they are a little soft as is the photo on the front flap.

There are some glue spots on the copyright/title page and last page of the book. The spine also doesn’t feel especially secure to me. But I think that is being quite nitpicky. The pages have a bit of "wave" to them when you view the closed book from the top. I don’t know if that is typical of a book with so many pages.

So, overall now that I have gotten my book I am relatively pleased with the results. Again I think it was a good value. My book is a document of my recent vacation trip. I would have paid as much if not more for prints and an album. If you need really top-notch printing you will probably want to search elsewhere; or you will really have to work your images to make them totally work their best with this paper and Blurb’s printers. The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies though I believe. The quality of the book I had made last  year by MyPublisher.com is definitely higher, but for a 100 page 15×11 book (their max size) I would have ended up paying about $300 instead of $100 at Blurb.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
glennaa11
Dec 19, 2008 4:03pm PDT
glennaa11

I received my first book from Blurb about a week ago and was absolutely delighted with the results.  I admit I was a bit nervous opening the nicely wrapped package but was rewarded with a beautiful book.  I just made the limit of 160 pages on the large format landscape with premium paper.  My photographs came out perfectly and the colors true to the originals. 

Other than a few of my own little mistakes, it is perfect!  I ordered another one for my daughter and she was just delighted and will be showing it to all her friends.  It was well worth the cost and delivery was very timely on both books.  I am in the process of doing a final editing on two more books that I will be uploading in a few days and starting a fourth.   I hope my next experience will be just as rewarding.

The only issue I had was in using the program as it was slow, probably due to my RAM not being adequate, and I had to be patient as the book progressed and got larger.  I also wish there were a bit more templates to use, especially with the covers.  I’d also like to see the title printed on the hard cover and spine as dust covers do get ripped and so forth after a time.  Basically, I was very pleased all around and enjoyed the fun of creating my very own first book.

Thank you Blurb for making me an author!

Delighted in Massachusetts

Posted by
wildwx
Feb 14, 2009 10:55am PDT
wildwx

I will be honest,   besides the FIRST book I ever made (back over a year ago when I didn’t know I could change the background color on the front page from the color blue) I have YET to have a bad book.  I have ordered over 30 books (I think).

I have only had a few mistakes (of my own) made for me and I have had to laugh.  Only problem I have had is the silly SHIPPING mistake of FED EX where they just left one of my boxes somewhere at Christmas time but that showed up two weeks later so I got double books thanks to blurb sending me out my extra books. 

I have tried to get BLURB to take these comments off our front page so people don’t see them so I have learned not to complain but I don’t have a complaint. 

I think BLURB is the best BOOK making EASY EASY EASY (and I have tried other places out there) and for the price of doing it  you can’t go wrong. 

It also works with SMUGMUG which is a MASSIVE PLUS for me! 

Posted by
mvision
Feb 17, 2009 2:06pm PDT
mvision

I have to agree with mvision. So I have only made one book (German Family Recipes Cookbook) and I don’t have much budget to put out upfront. I was sooooooooooooooo happy when I got the book and saw the results. Everybody I gave the book to is complementing on how professional the book looks. They had expected a dull, standard fundraiser, ring-bound version. The photo colors are excellent, so vibrant. I also chose premium paper, which I think is great for a cookbook in case you splash some water on the pages in the kitchen. I ordered a hardcover with dust jacket for myself and I am very happy about the quality.

There were some printing/shipping hickups before Christmas, but I assume it must have been mayhem, because everybody wanted their stuff before the holidays. In the end I got my books on Christmas Eve, just in time.

I’m very happy with Blurb and am currently working on my next (cook) book projects, hopefully to be released later this year.

Posted by
SylviaEhret
Feb 21, 2009 11:21am PDT
SylviaEhret

I also suggest really trying the PREMIUM pages AND doing the B&W on BLACK pages.  It is gorgeous. 

There are always hickups at Christmas time no matter where you order things from.  It is always like that.  I’m so glad you had a wonderful experience.  :) 

Posted by
mvision
Feb 27, 2009 8:43pm PDT
mvision