Ordering and Shipping

In Praise of Blurb Customer Service

Having read a number of recent comments regarding the late / non-delivery of books before Christmas, I would like to add my words of praise for Blurb’s Customer Service people and the work they do.

On the 12th of December I ordered a 260 page Large Format Landscape ( 13×11 inches) book using the B3 work flow for delivery via Express Delivery,

I received it on the 18th – three days before initially expected. The book was beautiful – the colours matched my calibrated monitor,  black and whites were rich and finely detailed. But there was a problem – 2 pages were stuck together. 

I immediately e-mailed Blurb Customer Services via the Blurb web site and received an automated response.

Within 1 hour I received a further e-mail from Michael at Blurb CS apologising for the book’s condition, and stating that a new book would be reprinted and dispatched as soon as possible. Michael recognised the fact that it was highly unlikely that the new book would be received before Christmas and apologised.

On the 24th of December the new book was delivered to me via UPS.

I have to say how impressed I am with this level of service. The book was intended as a present and thanks to Michael’s quick action my father received a perfect and gorgeous book for Christmas. Well done Blurb and thank you Michael.

GH

London

UK

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
napoleon
Dec 28, 2008 8:44am PDT
napoleon

So we were very lucky. I ordered 32 pages book on 12 Dec. Expected shipping date was 22 Dec, but status of my book is still PROCESSING… I am very disappointed.. I don’t know if anybody there in Blurb reaaly cares about their customers… I never received any information or any explaination why they didn’t send the book on time. I don’t know when I should expect it??? is there a customer service?

Martyna

Posted by
MartynikaM
Dec 28, 2008 11:34am PDT
MartynikaM

Blurb always sends an email when the book is printed.  The most they’ve been overdue in printing was 3 or 4 business days. And I was conpensated with a coupon towards my next order.

I started submitting my christmas books in November so I had enough time to order a reprint if I missed some really back edits, or if something bad happened in shipping or printing. I did have misprints and there was enough time for replacement books to be sent before Christmas.  Planning ahead helps in life.

I knew people would be rushing in books at the last minute, and surprise surprise, the days do not magically get longer so more books can be printed because it is Christmas.   I fully expected that if I didn’t get my order in advance of the first deadline (Dec 9th I think), I risked getting caught in a glut of last-minute printers all assuming every book would be printed on time no matter how many orders were sent in. After all that’s how Santa does it! 

I did have problems with more than one book, and in each case Blurb Customer Service responded to the requests (through the menus on the HELP page of the website) very quickly, and in each case dispatched a replacement book.  I would avoid sending a book in at the last minute the way I would not expect to get the exact toy my kid wanted by going into a Toys’r’Us two days before Christmas, nor would I expect great customer service in a Walmart on Black Friday (although I don’t expect people should die from shopping either!)

Posted by
royalef
Dec 29, 2008 2:16pm PDT
royalef

I concur with royaef and napoleon. I’ve also had an issue here and there with my books but Blurb customer service has always been quick to respond and willing to work things out quickly, efficiently and effectively. I also started my holiday gift books back in Early November …. you always need to give yourself time to work out kinks, reprints etc.  It’s basic common sense, especially if you are relying on third parties.  But overall I’m very pleased with customer service. They are actually quite good, especially if you think about al the other customers and orders they are obviously attending to. I feel good about blurb and plan to keep coming back!  :-)

Posted by
athenav
Jan 1, 2009 2:35pm PDT
athenav

Royal,

When you say “planning ahead helps…”

Exactly! That said, I totally agree that by planning ahead of time is the best way to go. Hands down big time.

Happy New Years and a wonderful 2009. (BTW, today is also my birthday)
Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 1, 2009 5:23pm PDT
brianbonitz

Good one, Napoleon. I’ve had my ups and downs with Blurb (lost books, extortinate shipping…), but they were great when my last 13×11 had a couple of ugly ink leakages on it.  No quibbles, a new one in the post by UPS, and a happy customer.

I imagine the Blurb chaps and chapesses need a pat on the back every now and again, and it’s a nice way to start the new year. 

Posted by
olympicbenny
Jan 5, 2009 1:32pm PDT
olympicbenny

Hello

I too had a problem with some lost packages from a large order in September and Blurb straight away set about sorting it out and sending the lost books, but these too went missing (Wrong track numbers) and again Blurb staff were only too obliging and ran another order 2 days before Christmas, these arrived a few days ago, thank you so much to Blurb for their help and support, its most welcomed.

I cannot wait to do my next 2 books.  Its been a great way to start the year.

Thanks again to all at Blurb.

Posted by
digitalr
Jan 5, 2009 5:13pm PDT
digitalr