Ordering and Shipping

Larger orders vs. smaller orders

In the future I will not make one large order from Blurb, but break the order up into smaller orders. I placed an order on Dec. 1 for 40 hardcover books that has not yet shipped. On the same day, I ordered 5 softcovers and they arrived yesterday. The next day, I ordered an additional 5 hardcovers and they are enroute to arrive today or Monday. What’s worse, I offered the book in the bookstore and several people placed orders that have shipped and/or arrived. The original 40 books that I ordered were for people trusting that I would get their books to them asap. I know that Blurb says there may be a delay on larger orders, but why? 40 is not that many. I should have broken it up into 8 separate orders for 5 books. Shipping would have been less also. I am worried now about exactly when my 40 books are going to be completed. Just something to be aware of if you are ordering more than 10 books at a time.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rmoore9915
Dec 12, 2009 7:55am PDT
rmoore9915

Boy, I wish I had thought of that!  I also ordered 40 books on 12/1 and haven’t received them.  They are still in processing mode.  My chances of receiving them for Christmas (they are gifts) are very slim.  Thanks for the input.

Posted by
caseyriley
Dec 13, 2009 9:40am PDT
caseyriley

Hi,

Orders usually move through our process fairly quickly, but the holidays offer up unique challenges with all of the extra volume. Any time of the year though, orders 25 or more, require an extra three business days as noted on our shipping pages. So, in both your cases, looks like we are on track and your orders should go out soon. If they get the slightest bit delayed at the printer, if we can, we’ll upgrade your shipping. I don’t think either of you are in danger of these missing the holidays.

Thanks for your patience. Hope this helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 13, 2009 3:20pm PDT
kathybad

End of October I ordered +-35 books but I separated them into three separate orders.  Partly because it was clearly stated on the Blurb website about the extra processing time, but partly because it ended up being cheaper.

Hope the books get to you in time.

Posted by
friend1979
Dec 13, 2009 5:21pm PDT
friend1979

Thanks for the input Kathy; however, it still doesn’t make sense that you can place a smaller order for the same book after a large order and the smaller order gets processed and shipped faster. As I said, it appears the way to beat this quirk in your system — as well as get cheaper shipping costs — is to break a large order up into several smaller ones. That should not be the case.

Posted by
rmoore9915
Dec 14, 2009 9:13am PDT
rmoore9915

Hi,

Well, an order – large or small – goes through the QA process at the end of the line to catch manufacturing deficiencies. If a single unit within an order is deficient, the entire order is held until that unit is passes inspection. Though we account for this internal reprint within our production timelines, there is a higher probability that a smaller quantity order ships faster than a larger quantity order placed on the same day due to this very fact.

Hope this helps. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 14, 2009 1:28pm PDT
kathybad

Thanks Kathy.  I understand the delay due to large volume but would it possible to just check and confirm that my book is in the queue waiting to go and there isn’t something wrong with it?  I haven’t heard from CS and that’s all I need to know at this point.  I’ve read other blogs where the client’s message never went through due to a technical error.  Thank you.

Posted by
caseyriley
Dec 14, 2009 2:12pm PDT
caseyriley

caseyriley,

For specifics about your order, best to check in with customer support. If you are truly concerned since it is still within the estimated ship times (per your order detail page) please contact customer support – they will be able to help you better about your specific order than I can. But as I posted above, it still looks like your books are on track and should ship any day now.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Dec 14, 2009 4:04pm PDT
kathybad

Thanks Kathy.  I received all my books and they look great!  Blurb had them shipped with 2-day delivery instead of ground.  Now I hope Blurb pulls through for everyone else!

Posted by
caseyriley
Dec 16, 2009 6:26pm PDT
caseyriley