Ordering and Shipping

Delivery and extra charges - What happened?

I just ordered 20 copies of a book I made and I had a double bad surprise. First the price of delivery, over 50 euros for 20 black and white booklets that cost 3.50 each. It was too late and I needed the books for my students, so I ordered anyway. When the books were delivered, the courier asked me an extra 15 euros for “custom duties”! I paid that, as well, but now I need to know what happened. The books seem to arrive from the USA, and this would explain the custom duties, but weren’t books ordered from Europe (I live in Italy) printed and sent from Europe? What happened? I have made and ordered several books before, and they always came from Denmark. Is it because the books are B & W? In this case, I will never be able to use Blurb again for B & W books! How can you ask us to pay more for delivery than for the books themselves?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bluejay
Mar 29, 2011 8:48am PDT
bluejay

I too am surprised and mystified by the shipping costs.  I used the Shipping Calculator the other day to find out costs for my 2.95 GBP B&W book – it was calculated at about 35 GBP for 20 books. It would be cheaper to order them 3 at a time for 3.99 GBP each order – and then I could order 24 books and still pay less shipping!

Going to the other extreme, I checked out shipping costs for 20 copies of my 7"x7" colour book and this came out at just over 7 GBP ( previously I’ve always paid around 12 GBP). What on earth’s going on? 

Posted by
waf1
Mar 29, 2011 11:37am PDT
waf1

OK you win! I just spent a lot of time writing about shipping costs and book pricing but all I got was a message saying "sorry, you need to use more than five characters! WHAT? Thank you so much,. I am losing my enthusiasm for Blurb.

Posted by
60sdrummer
Mar 29, 2011 12:02pm PDT
60sdrummer

Hi All,

It’s true that our trade sized books (the 5 × 8 and the 6 × 9 book sizes) are all being processed by a US printer. If you are having any shipping and/or customs issues with any orders received, please message Customer Support and they will look into the problem and help you.

Thanks,

Jay

Posted by
bookguy1
Mar 29, 2011 3:03pm PDT
bookguy1

Just produced a 44-page 7×7 and was shocked to see the shipping cost — $8.99. Almost half as much as the book itself. I won’t pay such an inflated price and am upset to have wasted so much time on this project.

Posted by
mountamphoto
Aug 17, 2013 3:29pm PDT
mountamphoto