Ordering and Shipping

Shipping rate to UK has tripled. Surely Blurb can find a solution to this.

Are other UK and European Blurb users suffering huge increases in shipping rates?

Last August I ordered 200 copies of a black & white paperback and the charge for carriage was £180.87. I now need a reprint of 200 and the new shipping estimate is £543.54 – a 300% increase.

My margins were already slim – the book shop I supply is waiting for the new copies and I will actually make a loss if I pay this shipping cost. If I order in multiples of 3, my profit would be 3p per book and the process would be tedious for both me and the printer, and environmentally unsound because of all the packaging.

Blurb’s response so far has been to say the shipping calculator is functioning correctly and that shipping rates fluctuate on a daily basis. They have not explained the steepness of the increase or suggested any alternative method. I sent another email on Sunday 24th – it’s now the 26th and no reply

My guess is that these books are no longer being printed in Europe. If so why not? And at least why not explain. I am happy for shipping to take longer if the rate reverts to something more economically manageable. Reasonable shipping rates was one of the reasons I chose Blurb in the first place, and now I am locked into my book being in their format, they raise these to a rate I cannot afford. I have found Blurb great to use, efficient in production and shipping, and a really good quality product. I’ve recommended them to loads of people in the UK. It is so disappointing to be let down like this.

Any suggestions, anyone? Blurb? Please.

AG

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
AnnieGunning
Apr 26, 2011 1:51pm PDT
AnnieGunning

I have a similar problem. Just found a retailer who wants to stock 500 copies of my trade B&W book but shipping costs from the States to Europe make it an absolute no-go proposition.

I’m now creating my own pdf file of the book and finding a local or online POD supplier. As a start I have had a quote for £2.22 per book which includes p&p. Waiting for a sample pack before placing an order.

Blurb, it’s high time you started printing your B&W trade books in Europe. Until you do, both you and others like me are losing loadsa money!

Best 

Wendy

Posted by
waf1
May 1, 2011 1:51pm PDT
waf1

yes same problem here.

there is no more economy shipping method available, which was great for people who didn’t need the books ultra-fast.

I did an order lately, but will certainly looking for good options in my country. I am sure blurb will lose customers because of that – unnecessary, in my eyes. 

Posted by
lepupe
May 18, 2011 1:58pm PDT
lepupe

I am in Spain and in a similar situation. have just sent blurb the following e mail:

“Dear blurb,

I cannot accept that this is correct.

An example:
If I order 3 books at 33.95$ each they will all be shipped to me for 8.11$; per book price delivered = 36.65$
If I order 100 books at 33.95 with 15% discount shipping will cost 826.27$: per book price delivered = 37.12$
It would make more sense for me to order 34 times 3 books than 1 time 100.
This is a totally unacceptable and absurd situation.
You must talk to your shipping company to get some proper costs.

Do please keep me informed of your progress with this.

Thanks
Phil Crean"

Would suggest that others sent similar to blurb support to let them know how we feel re this ridiculous situation.

Phil

Posted by
philcrean
May 21, 2011 3:02am PDT
philcrean

Seems like they are quite happy for a discount on bulk purchases to actually be a penalty caused by shipping costs.
I’ve now had this response:

Response Via Email(Jay) – 05/23/2011 09:12 AM
Hello Phil,

Thanks for your response. Yes, that information is correct, sorry for any confusion caused. We understand why you would be confused, but as the majority of orders that are placed by our customer base is for 1 – 3 books, the shipping costs we offer for these customers works very well. For larger orders, there is no flat rate option, and the prices you see are generated live by our shipping partners.

This pricing for shipping will not be changing, so we hope it will work out for you.

Thanks again,
Jay

Blurb Customer Support

Customer By Email (Phil Crean) – 05/23/2011 03:10 AM
>>
> Dear blurb,
>
> I cannot accept that this is correct.
>
> An example:
> If I order 3 books at 33.95$ each they will all be shipped to me for 8.11$;
> per book price delivered = 36.65$
> If I order 100 books at 33.95 with 15% discount shipping will cost 826.27$:
> per book price delivered = 37.12$
> It would make more sense for me to order 34 times 3 books than 1 time 100.
> This is a totally unacceptable and absurd situation.
> You must talk to your shipping company to get some proper costs.
>
> Do please keep me informed of your progress with this.
>
> Thanks
> Phil Crean

Posted by
philcrean
May 24, 2011 4:43am PDT
philcrean